Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Monster....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dc240nt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I received an email from a person that was either in the hunting party, or was a witness to measuring it. Either way, they have seen the deer and it was measured by someone within the group, and as they said in the email, "should go around 230".

I'm not saying its not a hell of a deer. I'm just saying that when its compared to a true 260 inch deer it seems to fall short. Photo's can be very deceptive as we all know. I've scored a few thousand whitetail and usually know what I'm looking at. I could be wrong though. </div></div>

im with DC on this one, when i initially saw it i thought "not 260" however, some of the other pix make it look pretty big too.

id be surprised if it goes 260 or more.... jmo i guess we will wait and see for an official measurement,

That thing is freakin giant!

I'm not sure there is a ton of controversy over it. Things like this seem to blow up way beyond what they really are. Right now, I say congrats the guy! Innocent until proven guilty in my mind here! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Midwest whitetail said gross 265. I wonder if any of the guys there put the tape on him?

I was just curious because I believed the same thing until I saw the video link that was posted earlier and after seeing it rotated I changed my mind.

I wasn't calling you out I was just curious as to your opinion. I am guessing 250 and change gross... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Very cool deer either way.

Could you post a couple of 260's you are comparing it to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWilk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Midwest whitetail said gross 265. I wonder if any of the guys there put the tape on him? </div></div>

No, we did not tape it.

Okay guys how many 230-265 inch deer have you all seen?

I mean I feel like I'm as good as anyone at guessing 150-170 deer on the hoof, in photos, etc. I've seen quite a few of them, like most of you have.

But how many deer in the mid 200's with that many points have you seen before! When I see a deer like that I just know it is huge. It may be 230, it may be 280. Yeah it looks bigger in the photo where the guy is behind it than the one where he is in front of it. Of course it does. And it looks even bigger in the video where you can see points that you can't even see in the photos. Especially on the brow tines.

It's just plain huge and we'll find out the true score when it is officially scored.

I don't know...I'm looking at close to 25" of gross antler on each brow tine alone, then add all the rest of the points, probably 45" of mass and a good spread...friggin monster, 260 + but who cares, whether it's 230 or 260 it's without a doubt a giant. Whenever a giant hits the ground there is always controversey, hopefully all that will be cleared up shortly....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dc240nt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I received an email from a person that was either in the hunting party, or was a witness to measuring it. Either way, they have seen the deer and it was measured by someone within the group, and as they said in the email, "should go around 230".

I'm not saying its not a hell of a deer. I'm just saying that when its compared to a true 260 inch deer it seems to fall short. Photo's can be very deceptive as we all know. I've scored a few thousand whitetail and usually know what I'm looking at. I could be wrong though. </div></div>

im with DC on this one, when i initially saw it i thought "not 260" however, some of the other pix make it look pretty big too.

id be surprised if it goes 260 or more.... jmo i guess we will wait and see for an official measurement, </div></div>

Thomas, what the hell would you know about a 260in deer! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Wow... I'm sure glad you fellas in Iowa are takin' a little pressure off Kansas, where some monsters were shot this year. What a year for giant bucks!

yer right...

i dont know squat...

im just upping my post count..

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I know all you guys on here are a close knit family...and just to set your stories straight, Chris IS the shooter of that deer! He was the one that harvested it! For some reason, someone put my name up that I shot that deer? I just happened to be in that picture holding the deer up. I didn't shoot it! But damn i wish i could say I did! Hope this clears things up, and if any of you want any more pictures of that deer, let me know. I was with him when he shot it :)

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yer right...

i dont know squat...

im just upping my post count..

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dc240nt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

id be surprised if it goes 260 or more.... jmo i guess we will wait and see for an official measurement, </div></div>

Thomas, what the hell would you know about a 260in deer! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

But...... Thomas HAS shot 26, 100 inch deer and that is a heck of a lot more bone than that guy is holding! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Just bustin yer chops Tommy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I've heard the rumors about this buck being taken by a group of trespassers and it's really rubbed me the wrong way. Especially knowing there were a dedicated group of bowhunters who knew the deer (sheds, trail cams, etc). This is one reason I hate shotgun hunting. I know many of you feel the same from what I have read here. I really didn't think the story could get much worse when today I got a call from a friend that knows some of the guys that were in the group and he told me Chris Wood is doin a european mount on this monster. Thats just plain stupid! Someone that isn't going to mount a 260 deer should have it taken away in my opinion. That is just plain disrespect. I was also told the cape is being sold. This really angered me.

I think there should be stiffer fines for hunters that are caught trespassing.I have heard shotgun hunters that I work with say they don't worry about trespassing because its only a $50 fine. That is just messed up. You know that there are alot more that think that way. I have hunted some propertys that the landowner has told me that there was a group from the city that always hunted on there ground and never once asked for permission. This is what gives hunting a bad rap.

Let us all remember that these are RUMORS and until we hear differently we should congratulate the hunter on a tremendous whitetail. I, for one, am getting sick of all the negativity surrounding the harvest of every single monster whitetail this year.

Ya your right Muddy these are just rumors, but I am just so darn disappointd that the hunter wouldn't mount the buck and opt for a cheap skull mount. I've got a few racks in my garag i found in the ditch I did this with and couldn't imagine doing that iwth a 260 deer. Then that he is selling the cape it just gets my goat i guess...

Who knows the reason why he's doing an European mount, IF he even is? Maybe the cape had something wrong with it? Maybe he can't afford it?

Who are we to judge what he's doing with HIS deer?

Maybe it you want him to mount it so bad you can pay the bill?

Yes, IF he is doing a skull mount that is too bad but if it was me I'd whack the horns of and use them for rattling. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom