Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa One Buck Rule

I get to keep fishing and catch 100+ more walleye, musky, trout, etc. after I've caught my bag limit. I just can't keep them. Since we kill the quarry that we hunt, this type of fish management practice can't be applied to hunting. How much fun would it be if you caught your bag limit on your first cast and then you were either forced to stop fishing all together for the rest of the season, or you were forced to stop fishing in any manor that you 'might' catch another one of those particular fish? Anybody can go sit in a treestand anytime of the year and 'watch' deer. You don't need a hunting license or tag to do that. It's called hunting for a reason. If you tell me, well, you can always shoot does after you shoot your buck... That's like telling a musky fisherman that they can always catch chubs after they've caught their musky bag limit, (and even then, they still have an opportunity to hook into another musky). Not an apples to apples comparison.

Would add the new walleye regs are aimed at protecting breeder females. Bigger fish are just a by product.

If you want to take away some of my hunting opportunity it's going to have to be for a biological reason to get my support. Not just an attempt to have more big bucks.

I'd be for it. I think most peoples opinion it would depends on where you hunt.

If you are a large landowner or have access to a large property or lease then you may not be for it because you have good odds of being able to target multiple shooter bucks and still 'protect' a large portion of your bucks to live another year.

Those who hunt public or small private pieces are heavily impacted by other hunters, so if they want to shoot larger bucks this would be a good thing for them.

Then of course, many people don't care about shooting big deer, they just enjoy hunting.

I've always selfishly thought how cool it would be if buck hunting was outlawed for a couple seasons. There would be a ton of big bucks once it would be opened back up.

Not necessarily. Lots of big bucks die every year from many reasons other than hunting. Getting a buck to 5 or 6 years old even without hunting is almost a miracle.

Top Bottom