Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it legal to use dogs to find wounded/lost deer?

IowaBow

Last i'd heard this is a no no, is it legal to use dogs to track a wounded or lost deer in iowa?

Not sure but i would say as long as you have no weapon. Knock yourself out i would. Just out <span style="color: #FF0000">walking your dog not illegal </span>i would tell them to go catch a poacher. Most of there /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gifrules are B.S. anyway. <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of there /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gifrules are B.S. anyway. </div></div>

Here we go again.
naughty.gif

Sorry i take it back ... NOT!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's a no no here in Sask, and its really too bad...Im sure there is a big percentage of lost game that could have been recovered.

I just contacted my local DNR officer. OFC. Bill Fribley and it's a definate no no.

Wish it wasn't but i can understand the difficulty they would have determining who's using the dogs to push deer and who's actually using them to track something that's been hit...

WOW, you would think that would b in the HUNTING RULES AND REGULATIONS BOOK..........amazing. I don't know one guy that has'nt used a dog to track or had a buddy that has.

Amazing you don't know one guy that hasn't broken this rule, i don't know one guy that has...

Have you used dogs to track deer in Iowa Ryan?

One would think a person would check before doing something if they weren't sure.

Sure has been a lot of rock throwing lately!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

But they're little rocks.....

I wish we could use em, i believe i'd have at least one more nice buck harvested if we could but again can understand how difficult to tell who's really tracking and who's pushing deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wapsiguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure has been a lot of rock throwing lately!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif </div></div>

Yeah, and it's really getting old. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but people need to get off T's a$$ a little. It does seem like he can't say ANYTHING on here anymore without getting picked apart. Usually I wouldn't care, but I'm in a loving mood today!

:D.... thanks 180.. I will b fine (tear rolling down face)...let them vent...It has never bothered me....not one bit...

now back to you.."iowabow"

I would have to look but I am 99% sure that this is in the Reg books. I know I have read it before. Don't agree with it, but I knew it was illegal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 180class</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wapsiguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure has been a lot of rock throwing lately!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif </div></div>

Yeah, and it's really getting old. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but people need to get off T's a$$ a little. It does seem like he can't say ANYTHING on here anymore without getting picked apart. Usually I wouldn't care, but I'm in a loving mood today! </div></div>

Hate to say it Lance but I feel the same way it gets old real fast when people around here decide they're gonna argue or bad mouth everything said just because of who said it. Come on guys lets get off this and grow up, Im ready for some positive post with some dead deer in them, not just another public bashing, save your energy for some dragging

I'm thinking that too but if there is it is probably under "chasing or pursuing game" I don;t think there is a tracking part in there...Again, the "GRAY Area" pops up... you cant realy follow the "wording in that book" there are alot of loopholes....until you go to the IOWA CODES... Kinda dumb.

It is under the pursuing game by dogs part. I don't know that I would really consider that a gray area, because if your tracking a wounded deer then you're pursuing it.

I think you could argue this very easily.....First..the German shep was know and raised for killing shinned deer in many countries... yes I would call that using a dog to hunt...But say an officer came out and saw you the following day after you had let a deer expire and saw you with a brittany or something..Do ya really think he would get ya on a pursuing deer?Can this rule just be that you can not hunt deer pith dogs.....do you think if there was a ticket involed that the guy would have a valid argument when he explained the aid of his dog..... But yet you MUST give your best effort to get your shot animal out of the woods.....Trackin/Pursuing..........hmmmmmm that s gray...I have faught 2 cases on gray areas. one one and lost one......so you tell me.... great argument tho:)

I don't need to bring this up again,,,,My dog problem,,,But,, I had dogs chasing deer all over my land last season. The DNr seemed little concerned about it. Advice they gave me,,"Just shoot EM". If I had a dog and lost deer on my property, I'd give him/her, a chance to find it, better not to waste game, than worry about this rule or that,one guy with no weapons on your own land. Let's get real. I half tried to educate the neighbor dogs with bird shot over their backs last winter. I hope they remember, but my dog prob is an old story. Anyhow Law officials were not too concerned about those Canines Pursuing Game.

So I can't go get my dog to track my wounded deer? That is stupid. I can see the part of actually "hunting" with the dog and using it to flush or chase the deer so you can shoot them but to follow a blood trail to help in the recovery of the animal? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif I know of alot of German Shorthairs and Drahthars that are trained specifically for stuff like this along with bird hunting.

Top Bottom