Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is there a good APP for marking locations?

Fox Valley Hunter

PMA Member
Just wondering if there are any good apps for marking stand locations, camera locations, etc. I have tried using the map function that came on my IPHONE but it does not seem to be very precise it can get me close but not quite correct. I was thinking this would help when I send my father in law to one of my stands or to go check a camera for me. I see there are several out there that would allow me to send him the coordinates but wanted to know if anybody had any luck with any of them.

so far every GPS app i've found for the iPhone has that same problem... they get you somewhat close, but just aren't incredibly accurate.

I have had great luck with scoutlook weather for marking stands. Never had an issue finding the couple I marked with it in the woods. It seemed like it would get me within about 10 yards of the tree anyways.

Google maps on my Android gets me within a couple meters. I can mark trees and find them pretty easily. Also works good for tracking

There is also a free app called Tracks if you are looking for something to trace your steps. You can even export your data to your computer

I like the Cabelas Recon app it cost a few bucks but works well. You can save a profile of several different hunting areas and waypoints of each area(stand locations, rub lines, scrapes, crossings etc.) It has alot of neat features, especially if you are have a guest on a new farm, save notes on each stand wind setups etc.Let them borrow your phone or buy the app and give them your password..Pick stand from a list and it will guide you right to it (or very near).. Have not yet used the blood tracking feature but looks useful, and I have had past track jobs that I wished that I had something like that... I often use just google maps to see where I am in the dark..(I very often go into new areas in the dark and try to find a spot to climb based on use aerial photo to find likely funnels)..

http://cabelas.trimbleoutdoors.com/Products/ReconHunt/

Backcountry navigator is another app that I have, it is not hunting specific, geared more toward hiking and geocaching, but it will do the trick for marking locations and saving data.

I do not like the price but when/if these get cheaper I would go with something like this:
(Garmin GPS with birdseye)

http://www.cabelas.com/handheld-gps-accessories-garmin-birdseye-8482-satellite-imagery-subscription-card.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03013661&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=781E5DCC-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:ad=5855068944&mr:adType=pla&mr:keyword={keyword}

Last edited:
http://www.scoutlookweather.com/deerlogs.php

I use scoutlook for hunting. It allows me to mark things and add a note. Also it has weather with radar and a feature called scentcone which shows a cone of how your scent spreads from your location. I really like the scentcone feature because it gives me a sattelite view with all of my saved locations and shows how the wind is blowing and how my scent will spread from my locations. Makes it easy to determine which stand to hunt
They also have a second app that is called deer log, which helps you log all of your deer sightings. The Scoutlook app is much more than just a GPS. Also as with any phone app it all depends on signal strength at your location.:drink1:

Top Bottom