Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ISU land values survey

Good info Brent, I too read this.

Major takeaways:

Analysis by State.
2.1 The 2014 state average for all grades of land was estimated to be $7,943 per acre.
2.2 The state value decreased $773 per acre from 2013.
2.3 The percentage decrease was 8.9 percent from 2013.

Analysis by Crop Reporting District.
3.1 The highest average land values were reported for Northwest Iowa, $9,615 per acre.
3.2 The lowest average land values were estimated for South Central Iowa, $4,475 per acre.
3.3 The only increase was in Southeast Iowa, 3.2 percent.
3.4 The largest percentage decrease was in Southwest Iowa, 13.5 percent.

Number of Sales Compared to Previous Year.
"Over half, (60 percent) of the respondents reported lower sales in 2014 relative to 2013. On
the other end of the spectrum, just 11 percent reported more sales and 29 percent reported the
same level of sales in 2014 relative to 2013."

**Keep in mind that there was way less ground trading hands this past year, so the sky is not falling. But maybe the land being sold this past 12 months is being sold for different reasons????

Last edited:
Thanks BJohnson. A couple things I found interesting:

*8.9 percent decrease largest decrease since 1986
*Farm income and interest rates will be keys to watch

I feel like prices have some more room to drop over the next couple of years. With the Fed recently announcing they don't intend to raise interest rates significantly until possibly late next year, I think it'll be a slow decline in prices. I wonder what next year will look like however with farmers not making a killing on grain this year as they did in the past few years.

I hope it goes down some more!!!!! Here's my 2 cents for guys on here, my OPINION... I personally think the bigger losses will be in the $5,000- $10,000 tillable tracts. I think it may ripple into "mixed" rec pieces that are around $3k but I sure don't think a whole lot. I think u will find some deals coming up but, I'd hope no one is counting on values on nice hunting farms going to $1,200 or something- not going to happen. I hope we see some good buys though. We r due for a correction with this silly Ag price madness.

Ground is finite so it will always increase in value in the long run. As with anything, there are swings up and down. If you want to buy ground and have the money, buy it. Don't worry about what it will be valued at tomorrow because there is no better value on earth than owning your own ground.

I hope it goes down some more!!!!! Here's my 2 cents for guys on here, my OPINION... I personally think the bigger losses will be in the $5,000- $10,000 tillable tracts. I think it may ripple into "mixed" rec pieces that are around $3k but I sure don't think a whole lot. I think u will find some deals coming up but, I'd hope no one is counting on values on nice hunting farms going to $1,200 or something- not going to happen. I hope we see some good buys though. We r due for a correction with this silly Ag price madness.

Even though I own land now, I would love to see it correct more. Add on to what I have!!

Top Bottom