Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

King Buck down

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Posted on PMA last week. Fun, challenging, learning lesson but overall this buck was so fun & rewarding. Now, there's a buck in PMA that hit dirt over the weekend that dwarfs the King :);):confused::cool::rolleyes::eek:o_O

STORY in a nutshell......
Known the buck since 2 or 3 ???? (He was 6 or 7) I’ll post some previous years pics later. He dialed down a core area to about 30 acres. Maybe 40 at very most. I never stepped foot in his draw of timber except tsi & shed season & always stayed on tractor. He just found a TINY isolated draw he knew he was safe in. He “ruled it”. Why I called him “king buck”. Plus he had kinda crown rack

I passed him last year .... was a smoker but I wanted to shoot Twizzlers & Chad. Plus I knew he’d be safe and grow most likely. All worked out- which is a miracle.
All my cams been crap this year. Missing tons of bucks I know made it. Really discouraging!!!!! I had him on cam & knew he was there but didn’t check cams recently to find out. Just kinda “knew it”. I almost got him.oct 4. He was already making scrapes - setting up dominance. 30 mins before dark. He was the king of castle & made it known. So.... I kinda thought he’d respond to mild grunt in his turf. He did!! Then coyotes blew up field - game over. 2 more hunts..... nada.
I slipped in last week to hang one more stand on outskirts I could see long way and hunt S wind. Went in Sunday night- quiet but warm. But.... undetected. 90 mins before dark - the dude comes out with 4 other bucks. Each of other 4 acting very subordinate. Walked right past my other stand. It was a windy night!!!!. I thought “same game- I’ll grunt just to tell him an aggressive buck in his turf”. TOO WINDY!!!. I grabbed horns..... light little rattle. Like 2-3 year olds sparring. Figured he’d WALK over to just show em who was boss. NOPE - came in to kick butt!!!! Ran under me and past my stand. Dag nab!!!! Sat behind hedge for a while. He was not gonna get my wind so grunted one more time to pull him out. He did. I shot & felt a slight thud on cam. Cam barely hit a limb. I was dead on him and crapped when it hit neck. Heart sank. He ran 10 more yards.... I had hole through brush & saw body & I was gonna let him eat arrows til I was out. Jammed one through & wasn’t sure where. He bolted across field & blood spraying. No clue where hit still.
I was so mad at myself. 100% my fault & was beating myself up. Walked to field top just to glance over ..... Nope- he Made the timber & I got out. So depressed all night or mad at myself. Even though I know it happens. Been 10-15 years since I legit screwed up and was chalking this up as muscle flesh wounds.

Next am..... bro & buddies. We waited til 8:30 for a few reasons..... got to timbered edge.... got out where I thought he would have run in. Started strategizing...... CROWS!!!!!! Bam!!!! “No coincidence “ & why i waited til 830- so just in case- they could possibly find him. They did. I found massive blood trail and lead right to crows. He had died right after hitting timber but glad I played safe. Both wounds looked wicked & crazy. Neck & center low on body. Am I proud of those shots? NOPE. But- he was roasted and 2 insane holes in him thank goodness. My stress relieved knowing I didn’t wound a great buck & finally caught up with the king. Rewarding & fun & i'm dang lucky.
I honestly want no more than to shoot another “Chad” & see fam & friends get good bucks & get to relax in timber. I got my 2nd bow tag but I don’t care if I ever use it or not. I will sit in the TIMBER come November & relax & take in the peace & beauty of the forest & wildlife & not working!!! That’s my reward in a November and I can’t wait.
To the rest of u. Good luck- I know someone will shoot a bigger buck than this and I hope u guys smoke some giants and enjoy the time out there. Special time of year so ENJOY IT!!!!!! Be safe & best wishes. Hope to see some pics and stories soon! :)
167f32740c3127327b8b2815d459f588.jpg

55f0630f351a579d5f6da7afcac76981.jpg
a3cc2f207684c4ce50df51befa337611.jpg
ef89aa1ab6d3b797343bf9d441769e73.jpg
0649ecae560f7ac3c228a90628a5240e.jpg

Couldn't wait for lunch to watch that vid. Great Buck! Love crazy action in the tree. Damn bow hanger!

Couldn't wait for lunch to watch that vid. Great Buck! Love crazy action in the tree. Damn bow hanger!

Lol, what is it about bow hangers that makes them fight you for the bow anytime you need it in a hurry! I think mine is getting a little kick back from PETA. :mad:

Lol, what is it about bow hangers that makes them fight you for the bow anytime you need it in a hurry! I think mine is getting a little kick back from PETA. :mad:
That whole scene there was massive part of problem.... I thought buck had gone way up into corn. He was way closer than I thought I saw him (was other buck & not him). He runs in and ya- stupid bow hanger! Way too close (my mistake), came in too fast & Yikers that was crazy & quick. :).
“PETA Bow hangers”. Think ur right!!!

Just watched this hunt on Midwest Whitetail as I was driving home from California today. Congrats on an incredible deer!

Great buck! One bad shot in 10-15 years is pretty dang good, especially considering the world class whitetails you're putting down. Most people screw up 10x more than that, but nobody ever talks about that stuff. Congrats Skip!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That deer was on a mission to kill something! crazy. I have never witnessed a mature buck react that aggressively. That is an experience in and of itself. Awesome deer. Congrats again!

Top Bottom