Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knobber - Update

Ghost

Life Member
I call this "THING" Knobber...

"It's" been in the area for several years.

You guys are messing around waiting for bucks to shed and I already have them growing next year's set!
grin.gif

Must be a bummer to be growing new velvet when temperatures freeze and crack new growing tissue.

I have a real good idea of what's going on here but thought I would leave the door open for those of you that have some thoughts on this.

By the way, these pictures were taken last night...yes yesterday...see, it's snowing!
evil.gif

Anyway....Meet Knobber!
waytogo.gif

837knobhead1.JPG

837knobhead2.JPG

837knobhead3.JPG

Re: Meet Knobber

Looks like a nice doe to me. We had a doe this year running around with about a 5-6 inch velvet spike running out her head, we never did get a shot at her
confused.gif
Actually Fred could of shot it, but for some reason didn't
blush.gif

I was thinkin doe too. If you shoot an antlered doe can you put your doe tag on it?

Ok...you guys are right, it's a doe...
smirk.gif

Now, lets get to the meat and tatters...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a nice doe to me. We had a doe this year running around with about a 5-6 inch velvet spike running out her head, we never did get a shot at her
confused.gif
Actually Fred could of shot it, but for some reason didn't
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito

Re: Update From January - Knobber

Gabe and I have named Knobber "The Freak"...

You won't believe these updated pictures of this deer...

837freak1.JPG

837freak2.JPG

Awesome, your very own cactus buck! You gonna whack him if you get the chance?

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, your very own cactus buck!

[/ QUOTE ]

bigshock.gif
ok...that's just not right...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Whatcha got in the water down there Ghostie?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, your very own cactus buck!

[/ QUOTE ]

bigshock.gif
ok...that's just not right...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Whatcha got in the water down there Ghostie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya whats the secret!!!

I hope you get a shot at that freak! If I am right , I think deer like that keep growing there antlers all season and never shed so she could still get a bit bigger by the time bowseason opens . Keep us posted on this cool FREAK!

cool buck, looks like he could get real nasty in the next few years

[ QUOTE ]
cool buck, looks like he could get real nasty in the next few years

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it is living tissue, in our climate they would freeze in the Winter and "die back".

Normal testes development and related seasonal rhythms in male hormone (testosterone) production are essential if a buck is to grow normal antlers and maintain a normal antler cycle. Just as in the case of castrates and so-called antlered does, insufficient threshold levels of testosterone commonly lead to prolonged or permanent velvet antlers in otherwise normal appearing bucks. Such hormone deficiencies may result from disease, ingestion of toxic substances, certain nutritional deficiencies, injury to the testes, or numerous other factors than might alter a males normal physiology.

In northern regions, viable velvet antlers tend to freeze back during winter. In the South, however, continual growth of velvet antlers can lead to massive, tumor-like growths in some individuals. Such formations are known as a “peruke.” And individuals that grow them are commonly referred to as “cactus bucks.”

Top Bottom