Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Large or small mouth

Small mouth only reproduce in running water, if you were thinking of stocking a pond. Pound for pound small mouth fight way harder than large mouth.

What is better large mouth or small mouth bass

Neither :p

I'll keep after the eyes, nothing better than that thump and head shake :way:
2drtqp.jpg

If you can get into good smallies then they are a blast to catch, but due to the size in my area I prefer to fish largemouth. As said nothing better than having a bucketmouth blow up a topwater frog or when jig fishing and you see your line start to swim. I don't eat either one of them tho and if the rivers ever get back to normal it will be time to start pounding some walleyes.

I grew up with farm-pond large mouths and love them, but, pound for pound, I love the fight of a smallie!

I love rat fishing for LM but all things being equal I'll take the smallie. Pound for pound they just fight better.

the large mouth do better in warmer water and muck bottoms,smallmouth like it rocky or sand both will do good as long as the baitfish are there

In the areas that I fish, I catch alot more largemouth so I tend to target them.

If I go fish the Mississippi I'll hook into a few smallies but typically they are larger size because I'm thinking bigger baits.

I'm not much of a walleye fisherman so if I'm targeting eyes than I normally end up catching a smallie doing that. So, I just stick with the big mouths since that's what I seem to be best at catching.

Im a big fan of pond fishing for LM and I have caught some HAWGS. I would gladly give that up for some 'Sippi smallie fishin or even MN lake fishin for smallmouth. They are tougher to catch and fight way harder. 5 lb smallie fights harder than an 8 lb largemouth. Public water fishing for largemouth is lacking in Iowa too, in my opinion but id really like to try some of the dynamite southern waters!

Both suck for table fair compared to other fish. Kids made me keep a 3lb largemouth i caught thru the ice a few weeks back. They didny like the taste any better than me compared to the bluegill we had!! First and last largemouth i will ever keep and eat...

smallies

Have to love the smallies i have a spot when they are on they are on and you can catch one every cast, i don't keep any i just love to catch them, ususally land a few 20 plus inchers every year

Scum Froggin' for LM is probably the most exciting that I've had, but, it's hard to beat a 3lb average almost every cast on a spawn bed of smallies. Pound for Pound, SM are the hardest fighting fish I've caught.

Top Bottom