Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last falls clover seeding.

vman

I planted this small clover plot last fall. Its pure trophy clover from Fridge Forage. I added it to the Autumn Quick plot I got from the same place. The deer pretty much destroyed the plot last year. Kept it pretty well mowed down all fall. And by the looks of it now, they are doing it again. I took this photo after removing an exclusion cage. The clover inside the cage had to be over 3 feet tall, outside the cage it was closer to 16 inches. I'm sorta surprised I got any clover at all since it was so dry last year. In fact, alot of the clover I planted without a nurse crop didnt do anything and I had to frost seed it this winter and its about 8 inches tall now in comparison. Hope it keeps up! Will be a nice little kill plot this fall. :way::way:

All this got me thinking, whats your favorite way to seed some clover?

533350_361408077255306_100001583510616_993197_1151359769_n.jpg

Broadcasting frost seed. I killed some sod this last fall then frost seeded red clover and it came up real nice. Deer are hammering it now. I will be turning it under this fall for some green manure.

All this got me thinking, whats your favorite way to seed some clover?

The two main ways I have had the best success on clover is: 1. Seed the clover with rye in the late summer. The rye really does protect the clover for the next year. 2. Frost seeding previously killed sod.

I thank Dbltree for espousing both methods, I learned these techniques from his many writings.

Top Bottom