Late season food plot

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by sirrloin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Last year after a busy November things went pretty dead as the deer moved to the surrounding Winterset/river bottom ag fields. Having hundreds of acres of cover and timber in the area didn't do much without grub. So this being the first year to work it I went in and and frost seeded an acre of clover mix over pasture grass. I sprayed off a little more than an acre for a big n beasty area mid June and will be burning it here soon and adding fertilizer. No tractor here so I'll be using some man power to rake up the surface a little. Fingers crossed it does as well as the clover has. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Looking good!! If u work the steps right u should have a great plot. Clovers already look great! Just make sure that N is treated & applied after fire. Looks great & post back on results!

sirrloin likes this.
  4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Can you get an ATV and a disk in there? If not, if you are working with bare soil, and after a fire is as bare as it gets, then I have still had fair to good germination with brassicas. As Skip said, if you can't incorporate the N into the soil with a tiller or disk, be sure to use the treated N that will not evaporate when it is broadcast. Good luck! That looks like a pretty neat area!

sirrloin likes this.
  5. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Unfortunately the Middle River is to the north and eastern and southern areas are too steep, even by foot. The only access area got washed out with the flash flooding a couple weeks back. No competition back here. It's good to have a hunting buddy who helps out. I'll keep updates going once its burned and planted.

6. gunhunter

gunhunter PMA Member

I wouldn't worry much about just burning it. I had great luck when I did it in the past. My advise is to make sure rain is on the way

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

sirrloin likes this.
  7. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

If I'm just going to broadcast before a good rain do you think I should go a little heavier on the recommended seeding rate?

8. gunhunter

gunhunter PMA Member

Yes definitely! I estimate this part a bit as but something like 25% extra for pretty bare ground.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

9. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Well the soil test came back. Looks like it's not going to take much. [​IMG]

10. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Got it all burned off today. Time for a little nitrogen and some seed in the next week. [​IMG]

goatman and Daver like this.
  11. deerdown

deerdown New Member

Nice, I'm too chicken chit to burn... Soil looks pretty healthy.

12. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Been almost two weeks without any rain but stuff still looks pretty good. Went out before the storms this morning and reseeded some of the bare spots with the solo. Just burned and seeded. I'll toss on a little N in a few weeks but overall not too shabby. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

IowaBowHunter1983 and cybball like this.
  13. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Week 3, things are starting to fill in on the brassica plot. Rain really helped get thing germinating and growing. Clearing out an area to set some 6x6 to put up a box blind.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. NWBuck

NWBuck PMA Member

Nice work...you're going to have an excellent plot! I took a wagon blind down to my Dad's farm south of Winterset a week ago, and drove home Sunday morning in a beautiful rain shower! Assuming that's the one that gave your plot a shot in the arm.

NWBuck

15. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Yep. We're just a stones throw south of Winterset. Should get some more rain tonight.

16. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

Well I figure it's about that time to wind things up. The big n beasty turned out great. I did have to fill in after the first couple of weeks but other than that I've just let the rain due its thing. It did take a little extra seed because it was broadcasted. No nitrogen added but the turnips are already the size of softballs. For just a spray, burn and broadcast I can't argue with the results. Took pictures every week or so anyone else can check the month and a half long stages.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. cybball

cybball PMA Member

That looks great! I didn't spray before planting, and there is a huge difference between yours and mine. You should draw them in for sure.

18. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Active Member

What should a guy expect for winter feeding on the brassicas? The radishes are rotting after our freezing temps and moderate warm up. All the tops are melting away on the brassicas. The purple top turnip bulbs seem to be ok. Will the deer feed on the wilted tops and turnip bulbs through the winter??

19. Daver

Daver PMA Member

"Early" freezing temps will knock out the radishes by about now in my experience. They are just not as weather hardy as are the turnip bulbs. I suspect that your radishes are done-zo, but your turnips should still work for you and you will likely find deer scratching out those bulbs all winter long, if not now, then later when there aren't as many options.

20. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

What Daver said. In cold temps I have had them eat the bulb tops what they could get then when when the ground thaws they would dig the rest of the bulbs out. Good place to find sheds also.

Daver likes this.
  21. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

100% they will hammer PTT turnips late season until they are gone. When planting brassicas, you are really only counting on the bulbs from the PTT as your late season food source.