Let's Eat!!!

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Ishi, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

There has been talk in the past where this site needed a cooking, recipe etc section. I was really wanted to do this when I started the Shrimp Boil thread buuut being a whitetail forum I wanted to ask OneCam.
    He said the sound of it was making him hungry and said go for it. So here it is and hopefully it will be a running thread with many contributions.
    This is for all food related things BBQ, Smoking Meats, Wild-game, fish,recipes, restaurants that have good eats, shore lunches, the sky is the limit.
    Everyone is very WELCOME to post to this and pics are highly encouraged ( everyone likes pics). I'm far from a expert in cooking but I live to eat.
    I'm always looking for different things to try and new restaurants to dine at. I have many things to post in the future and I know many of you like to cook and have pics to share. Currently I'm using a GMG pellet grill for smoking and the pellets are Pecan.
    My daughter is the manager at the golf course and a member who is a hog buyer and his employer donated 8 pork butts and 7 loins to the course which means pure profit. She told me that I was going to smoke them.
    Here are four butts that were smoked a couple weeks ago. Two of the butts took 11 hrs to reach 200 degrees the other two took 13 hrs.
    IMG_0034.JPG
    Next up are 3 loins that were seasoned for two days and smoked for a Saturday tournament. For pork loins I cook them to IT of 147 degrees then they are wrapped in foil till they are ready to eat.
    The rub I made is equal parts
    Kosher course salt
    Course Black Pepper
    Paprika
    Brown Sugar
    A dash of Cheyenne Pepper, Garlic Salt, Old Bay Blackened Seasoning
    Put them on the smoke at 5:00am
    IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    This forum is what we make of it so post away plus summer is a wasting away so it's time to get cooking cause ..... I'm Hungry

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Broot, Swintonator, 4DABUCKS and 5 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

The second Boil went well with a couple adjustments. Only boiled the Shrimp for two minutes and less hot sauce in the melted butter.
    IMG_0064.JPG
    With the leftover shrimp a pizza was made with a store bought crust. It was cooked on the pellet grill for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. The pizza had a nice smoky taste and the crust was crisp. A pellet grill will cook about everything a oven can do plus grilling and smoking meats.
    IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

fatboy likes this.
  4. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Hopefully I can add to this soon. We will be doing a boil soon because of the thread and that pizza looks amazing

Ishi likes this.
  5. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

Nice! You know how I love a good food thread:) Ill certainly add to this as we make it, even if I have already posted them meal on previous threads in the past.

Ishi likes this.
  6. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

I had some venison nachos a few months back made by a good friend Larry Zach's wife Marcia, and she was nice enough to give us the recipe to try at home. So we decided last night to try it with a roast from my wyoming elk and it was AMAZING

what you will need for the slow cooker/ Crock pot
    2 - 2.5lb roasts ( I used elk, but any roast would do)
    15 ounce can of red enchilada sauce
    3/4 cup messelmans apple butter
    1 onion, sliced
    3 garlic clovers, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

For the Nachos you will also need 1 large bag of tortilla chips and 3 cups shredded cheese

additional toppings-
    salsa
    avocado
    chopped tomato
    black olives
    cilantro
    sour cream

Directions-

1. Pour the enchilada sauce and apple butter in the crock-pot. Place roast in, followed by the onion, garlic, salt and red pepper. Cover and turn it on high for 4-5 hours or until the roast is falling apart
    2. shred the meat with two forks, leave in sauce and keep on warm until ready to serve
    3. Preheat the oven to 350 and arrange chips on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle half the cheese over the top and bake for 3-5 minutes
    4. spread the meat over the chips and use remaining cheese and addition toppings
    5. ENJOY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fatboy and Ishi like this.
  7. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

^^ now we're talking :)

8. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

9. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

I found this on the web earlier this summer. I didn't look at the details on the recipe so tonight I just winged it.
    Salmon and Asparagus is what I'll call it.
    I cut the fillet in half and made a tin foil pouch for each fillet.
    Butter was rubbed on each fillet
    Asparagus was put in each pouch and then brushed with Olive Oil.
    Lemon slices were added then parsley thrown on top.
    IMG_0073.JPG

Sealed them up and cooked for 35 minutes at 350 degrees on the pellet grill.
    Actually wasn't to bad of a meal at least it was the healthiest one I've made this summer.
    IMG_0074.JPG
    Hey stickers post them pics up of your work food never gets tiring.
    I was able to snap a few pics before the Mrs. caught me so I know what you mean:D

10. StickersNKickers

Added pics above. Had trouble with the pics showing in my original threads, so hopefully these show up.

11. StickersNKickers

For anyone doing a wild cow hunt, here's some beef short ribs I did a few weeks ago. Sorry about blurry pics and no exact amounts. Pics were taken throughout the cook, but don't remember the time of each other than beginning and end. This was the first time of doing short ribs, so I went pretty basic on them to see how they turned out. Kept it simple without any sauce or spritzing. Forgot to take a pic of the smoke ring!

Easy Smoked Beef Short Ribs

Beef Short Ribs (however many you can eat)
    McCormick Brown Sugar Bourbon seasoning (enough to rub each short rib)

Rub the short ribs with the seasoning. You can remove some of the top layer of fat before rubbing if you like, but I left it on. Refrigerate overnight.

Prep the smoker to around 225 degrees. I used a Traeger with hickory pellets. Place short ribs in smoker and let cook until around 205 degrees (approximately 7.5 hours for these). You can wrap them in foil around 160-165 if you want to reduce time, but I just let them go unwrapped. Take short ribs off and let rest (I put these on a plate wrapped with foil and into the oven for about an hour until dinner time). Serve and enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Hardwood11 and Ishi like this.
  12. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Good gosh. We just finished dinner and I'm hungry now. Wow guys. Keep that coming.

13. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 PMA Member

Bacon wrapped venison back strap (skewers)

Cut up the back straps, cut a slice in middle, cream cheese, and then add jalapeƱo if you want...

Veggies can vary

Really good stuff! IMG_5685.JPG

Ishi likes this.
  14. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Today I'm smoking Baby Back Ribs from Fareway, Baked Beans and a couple sweet potatoes wrapped in foil. I've started this year messing with brining of meats and have a lot to learn. The ribs were put in the Briner tub 6 hours before the smoke. Enough water to cover them up with salt, brown sugar and creole seasoning. These two buckets are great for brining and two other items for smoking. Weggie smoke box for more smoke and downdraft attachment to save on pellets.
    IMG_0089.JPG
    http://www.lemproducts.com/product/...5xP8npXhK6yhXcat2LfRz9RGbN1-9GMQaAjkHEALw_wcB
    The baked beans I have no set recipe I just dump stuff in and have learned by trial and error.
    I only keep half of the juice cause I'll be adding BBQ sauce to them. Some of the ingredients that I use.
    BBQ sauce
    Brown Sugar
    Paprika
    Cumin
    Garlic Salt
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Bacon and more Bacon on top
    Dry Mustache this is a must
    My Mother told me years ago to add sugars to the beans for flavor and eye pleasing color.
    IMG_0090.JPG
    The ribs will smoke for 6 hours and the beans for 4 hours. I hate my beans over cooked and dried out.
    The ribs came out of the brine and were dried off then prepared Yellow Mustard was slathered on them. No salt or spices after the brine you don't want them to salty. After 5 hours BBQ sauce will be put on them to caramelize the sauce.
    The finished product will be up later tonight so stay tuned.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    BDAHMS and Oct-Lull like this.
  15. StickersNKickers

Sounds good! I've brined in the past, mostly chicken (whole or pieces), pork loin, maybe a couple pork butts. I've actually started doing a "dry brine" for a lot of stuff like brisket, pork butts, other roasts, which is just salting the meat overnight. Then I add homemade rubs before the smoke (have to eliminate most if not all of the salt from the rub, so doesn't work too well with store bought rubs -- too much salt). I haven't ever done a side by side comparison using a wet and dry brine to see which I like better. Definitely have to watch the salt in your rub, if using, after either type of brine!

I have some pork spare ribs in the freezer as well as some more of the beef short ribs. I think another rib smoke is calling my name!

16. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

+++ on the dry brine! Half teaspoon kosher salt per #, maybe a little less on thin pork ribs. Apply 12-24 hours ahead, longer for big cuts like butts, brisket or chucks. Then follow it up with a homemade salt free rub just before cook. Lots of really great info at AmazingRibs.com

Ishi likes this.
  17. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

The ribs ended up cooking seven hours the Baked Beans four hours. The ribs were actually loin backs and always very meaty. They weren't falling off the bone but left teeth marks which is what I desire some times I get lucky.
    I need to post before I fall asleep;)
    IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Everyone have a great weekend and stay hungry!

BDAHMS likes this.
  18. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

Looks good, but I'm not much of a fan of back ribs anymore. Babybacks are about $4 /lb and loin meat is about 1/2 that. No wonder they leave so much loin meat on the rib cut. They look meaty, but the loin part is very lean and tends to get dry during a proper low & slow rib cook. I personally prefer spares or St. Louis cut for pork ribs. To each their own. Enjoy!

19. soil

soil PMA Member

Ribs and beans look great! I'll pass on the sweet potatoes. Haha. My wife loves them though.

20. muddy

muddy Administrator

I have a ton of grilled food pics, unfortunately they all got deleted recently. Good stuff Ishi

21. 6x6

6x6 PMA Member

I've got some too Muddy, but I'd hate to ruin everybody's appetite