Let's Eat!!!

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Ishi, Jul 29, 2017.

1. muddy

muddy Administrator

I blew my mind today with this wild turkey carnita recipe. It used 2 mature gobbler drumsticks and thighs... things that, up until today, were never more succulent than shoe leather. I cooked them at 300° for 1 hour the turned it down to 225° for 4 more hours. I s**t you not, when I picked the drumsticks up the meat fell off the tendons, same with the thighs. I have NEVER been more floored with the outcome of a stab in the dark recipie as today. Cannot wait to eat tomorrow. If you try this recipe I highly recommend a ceramic dutch oven.

https://honest-food.net/?s=Turkey+carnitas+

SeIowa69 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

Hank Shaw strikes again.
    I have not had a recipe of his that failed.

4. muddy

muddy Administrator

For sure. Every single person in the family was like "holy cow this is good!"

5. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

With extra time at home... and a look at supplies, we got what we needed to make a few long cook meals that we often don't feel like we have time for. Last night was the first.
    Hank Shaw's Osso Bucco https://honest-food.net/osso-buco-recipe/ with Anne Burrell's Risotto Milanese was a nice Sunday evening treat. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/risotto-milanese-recipe-1923307 We had some Sushi rice that my wife bought, and I subbed that for Arborio
    Cooked in the 3 1/2 hr timeframe at 300. Fall apart tender.

My oldest said... Is this like a "high class meal"?
    It should be son, it should be.

6. arm

arm Leg

Did this yesterday and they were great

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ishi likes this.
  7. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

With work from home in full swing right now....I have some time to watch over the smoker. I had all the supplies to brats, so I grabbed meat out fo the freezer to thaw and had picked up a couple pork shoulders on sale to get my fat ratio right.
    Got close to go time... and uh-oh.... no brat seasoning, but I did have a seasoning blend for 25 lbs of Summer Salami from Frisco spices, and almost enough casings to make that work. I had to just hand roll the last 6-8 lbs. They aren't as pretty, but still worked

I got a PID for my Bradley smoker last year and this was my first true test on it. It worked great and held the proper temps within 1-2 degrees.

It was 3 am before it finally got done, but it pays to do it right. Flavor and texture are really good.

Got to age it a bit couple days in the fridge, then get it in the freezer or it will disappear.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

fatboy and Ishi like this.
  8. Ishi

Ishi Waiting For October

Save a stick for Ishi:D!

9. 2.5YR8

2.5YR8 Member

You guys are killing me. For future reference where can my cardiologist send the bill?

10. Wapsi Tree

Wapsi Tree Well-Known Member

I watched my dad go turkey hunting a few times when I was young. Every time he came back soaking wet and empty handed, so I never took much interest. Didn't look like my idea of a good time. A buddy of mine bagged one in high school, and we just didn't know any better. We plucked it and baked just like you would a Thanksgiving butterball. I swore I'd never eat wild turkey again.

Fast forward 30 years and my son shoots one last year. We like easy cooking so we here's how we did it.

Breast chunks bite size, about 1 inch
    dipped in egg and milk
    Rolled in Ritz crackers crushed to powder and a few spices
    Deep fried till they float-about 2 minutes is all.

If I hadn't been snitching while I was cooking I wouldn't have gotten any. There were
    4 people eating off these plates and I had to slap hands away just to get a picture.
    Ridiculous good and too easy!!

turkey boobs.jpg

arm and Ishi like this.
  11. Ishi

Ishi Waiting For October

Price Alert!
    Fareway has whole Ribeye on sale for 6.99$ a pound. This is dirt cheap so now is the time to buy for your Prime Rib for Christmas dinner.
    Have them cut the size of roast you need then steak out the rest for summer enjoyment.

fatboy likes this.
  12. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

Also seen they have Pork Butts for .98 cents a pound this week also.

13. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

I picked up some Pork yesterday They are a Limit of 1. Call before you go in for the Ribeye. Two local stores were out of stock and didn't know if they would get any when they got truck today.

14. Ishi

Ishi Waiting For October

I went right away Wednesday and was able to get a whole ribeye and after he cut that up he let me have two pork butts:D They only had one pork belly left so I went to a different store yesterday to stock up for the bacon making fest this summer.
    I heard HyVee has pork butts for .97$ lb also?

15. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Picked up a quarter beef from the locker Thursday, bought the beef from the neighbor. Got hogs on the pasture, freezer full of pork. I’m set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk