Let's talk grills

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by muddy, May 27, 2019.

1. muddy

muddy Administrator

I need to replace my grill. What do you all recommend and why?

Charcoal not an option but I do want the ability to sear meat so stick with propane? Traeger? Big Green egg?

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

I like the electric pellet grill and I have a propane Weber.

Green Mountain is the brand I have for pellet grill.

4. Huntinguy

Huntinguy Member

Have had a traeger for about 7 yrs now and best grill ever. On my 2nd one but 1st was just fine brother bought it. I am not a smoking master want to do more just haven't had time to learn. I just make burgers, steak, chops all the normal stuff but seriously when I go to a buddy's house I want to bring my grill everything taste better. Plus my absolute favorite is beer can chicken just ridiculously good. Depending on budget send me pm I'll guide you to which one you should get.

seven twenty likes this.
  5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

6. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Love my traeger nearly impossible to mess up meat unless you flat out forget about it. I didnt have that type of control on my gasser. Cooks differently... in a good way. I will say this.... traegar=yeti. Meaning.... you could probably find something that works just as good for a lot less money. I can't, however, make any recommendations on that front.

7. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

I know of 2 people that sold Traegers and got Pit Boss brand pellet grills for less money and work just as good. That's the direction I'm leaning as well. Also heard raves about the Green Mountain with wifi.

8. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

I have a Holland Grill and it has lasted me over 20 years. Cast iron burner and the only thing I have had to replace was the igniter a couple years ago. I bought a Camp Chef Pellet Grill for my son so he would not have to carry a propane tank to the third floor of his apartment. They had a booth at the Deer Classic and I liked the feature of the catch can to dump the ashes instead of having to disassemble and vacuum out the ashes like on the Traeger. Got a great deal on the Camp Chef on Amazon and you can find the Holland Grill at local Ace Hardware or Ag Dealers in your area.

https://www.hollandgrill.com/
    https://www.campchef.com/smokers-gr...t grill&utm_content=TXT-CampChef-Pellet-Exact

9. Huntinguy

Huntinguy Member

I liked the Holland's back in the day. Everyone I know that had one switched to a grill like the traeger. The Holland keeps meat juicy but doesn't add flaverlike the pellet grills. Just my 2 cents

10. muddy

muddy Administrator

PitBoss reviews are 50/50 on them being junk. Even the 4 or 5 star reviews are posting that their customer service blows.

I don't have a great way to store a pellet grill out of the elements, so unless I can keep it in my garage I'll likely steer away from one now.

11. IowaBowHunter1983

....my traeger sits on my porch uncovered. No issues.

12. Brett Morris

Brett Morris PMA Member

I've got a Pit Boss & it's been alright. Flavor/grilling is very similar to the Traeger we have at the lake house. I've had issues with moisture plugging up the entire auger system on the Pit Boss & it's required taking the whole grill apart several times over the past 3-4 years.

The Traeger hasn't had that issue but we've had a ton of grease issues with 3 different Traeger's over the years. Grilling the same meat at the same heat & we keep it cleaned, I have no clue why that's been an issue on the Traeger's & not the Pit Boss. The only minor issue is the Traeger's don't get nearly as hot without spending substantially more. I love to grill steaks at 500+. My $400 Pit Boss does it easily, the $600 Traeger won't get nearly that hot. (I understand many models will but they were more $$$)

Just my experiences having owned both. Both absolutely SMOKE propane!

13. muddy

muddy Administrator

You're the first person to say this so either yours is new or you're in drought like conditions?

14. JBAGS

JBAGS Member

I will second the traeger not getting hot enough to actually “grill” things. Great for smoking etc. but you have to sear steaks on the stove after cooking them on the traeger. Kinda defeats the purpose of “grilling”. Don’t remember what model I have but it was middle of the road size and cost. Traeger is overhyped IMO.

15. IowaBowHunter1983

Been out since last fall. Not sure what issues people have.....

16. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

I have a Weber propane with Stainless grates. It sits under a roof on the deck and that has made it stand up way better than cheapo grills. I think we've had it 6 or 7 years now.
    I have a Bradley smoker for smoking. In my opinion, Smoker and Grill are separate items. Each is specifically suited for it's job. Not arguing with the Traeger, just not the route I want to go.

17. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Ability to sear the meat.... Going Sous Vide, Muddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. sure shot

sure shot New Member

Amazingribs.com - all you need to know about smoking

I bought the chargriller dual propane/charcoal set up from Lowe's. It's big and bulky, but let's you decide which cooking route you want to go. There were a lot of reviews online about it rusting bad, but I did the seasoning process and store it inside and have no rust after 5 years.

I got into smoking after I got it and added the side firebox to smoke with. It's not ideal for smoking, but it's cheap. Material is thinner and it leaks a lot, so it was hard to hold temp. I did a lot of mods and made my own fan controller and now it works awesome. I can set the temp and hold it within a 5 degree range.

It's big and bulky, but cheaper than the high end stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Pellet grills are like trail cameras its all in the controller or brains. Some brands use cheap controllers that will be nothing but headaches.
    They are very versatile and will smoke very well with a mild smoke flavor and will also grill meats like a charcoal grill.
    Most pellet grills won’t get much higher than 500 degrees so with the Grillgrates you will be able to sear steaks and such. I’ve been using pellet grills for six years or so the first unit was a GMG Daniel Boone and never had any issues other than the pellets wouldn’t ignite in the winter so I had to get a propane torch out to ignite the pellet during startup.
    I gave the unit to my son when I bought a RecTec Stampede last year. There are things I don’t like about it but it’s never let me down yet after running around 400 lbs of pellets through it.
    There are three brands that I wouldn’t buy due to being over priced and poor controllers.
    Google pellet grill fires and explosions and major temp fluctuations!
    Now no matter what brand of grill you buy the grill needs to be under roof or covered religiosity to keep the pellet dry!!
    Last year the custom made cover for my grill was on back order so I had a generic grill cover blow off and rain got into the auger. It took two nights to fix the plug up and I made a new vocabulary of words that a sailor never heard before.
    My grill is out side and covered before turkey season starts till the end of October with only one mishap in six years.

[​IMG]

Dry pellets

[​IMG]

Water added to the pellets

[​IMG]

Five minutes later they are swelled up and the trouble begins!

[​IMG]

If they are left in the auger tube to long they will dry out and will almost turn into cement which makes the unplugging even harder to do.

Dollar for dollar the GMG brand is a very solid unit to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. IowaBowHunter1983

How the hell are pellets getting wet? My traeger has seen 4' of snow and 100" of rain. Pellets always dry. No roof. No cover. Maybe lone ranger stands by it so that is the only 6 SF not getting wet.

21. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Sooner or later your luck will run out if left uncovered! Water always finds a way to get in so my advice is buy a cover they are worth the cost and peace of mind.