Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Little man scores his first buck

HOWATTANDHAWKEN

PMA Member
After hunting last weekend down in S. Iowa and seeing nothing but doe's and fawn's. Alot of doe's and fawn's,But no buck's.!!
we headed home Sunday back to Des Moines, but could not hunt again until Wed. my oldest boy Jake 14yr old, has football practice until 6:00 but my yongest Jason 11 yr old, gets out of school early on Wed. Well since I have the coolest boss ever, I was able to leave work at 3:30 to head home pick up the boy and head west for an evening hunt. Having had my trail camera on this farm a couple of weeks ago I knew there were a few bucks running around. I was hoping to get a shot within a hundred yards for Jason.

We got to our destination at about 5:00 pm and snuck down through a cornfield to an area where the cornfield meets a pasture and there is a long slough that runs up into the corn. The wind was perfect and the setup looked real good. Wind in our face and the sun at our back.

As soon as we sat down a we had a doe run right up in front of us and then walked by without noticing us at about 5 yards. I told Jason that was a good sign. Shortly after we saw another doe stand up in the nettles about 30 yards away stretch a bit and lay back down.

Now its about 5:30 pm and we've already seen 2 deer.Suddenly I started hearing a ruckus coming from the cornfield across the slough from us. there was definiteley something tearing up some corn over there. I was sure I caught a glimpse of antler at one point but by the time I got my Bino's up. The noise and movement had stopped. I told jason to be ready because I thought it was a buck,but wasn't quite sure . So we waited and watched and it must have been 5 quiet minutes later when as silent and unoticable as possible ,He just appeared at the edge of the corn about 20 yards from where we had seen the movement earlier. I told Jason to get ready but to wait for him to turn. He had a pretty good rack on him and I knew Jason could make the shot at about 70 yards.

Jason took a couple of breaths and settled his scope on the deer. I said to him to just squeeze it off, and he did. BUWHAM!!! the deer flinched hard at the shot and bolted into the corn. We saw him cut across the corn and emerge from the other side of the corner with a bunch of corn stalks and leaves in his headgear. He jumped the fence and headed south out of sight.

After analizing what happened and reloading the muzzy. We decided to go look for sign at the point of impact. Nothing there. Did he miss.???? We both thought the shot was good but the lack of sign was casting some doubt over both of us, the look on his face at the thought of a miss just about broke my heart. We crossed the fence where the buck did and continued looking for sign. He had traveled nearly a hundred yards already and we still had no sign of a hit.

The trail split and Jason checked one way as I checked the other, Within 2 steps I found blood. YESSS!!! Although there wasnt much blood it was rather Pink and bubbly. We all know what that means.
grin.gif

Within another 50 yards and still a very weak blood trail we found Jasons buck.!!!!! He had piled up under a cedar and was down for the count . The shot was a little high but right through the lungs,That explained the lack of a blood trail.

After dancing around like maniacs and hugs and high fives, Jason lifted his head to find this was a lot better deer than we thought . He is a main frame 10 point with a sticker at both brow tines. As Jason counted he got louder and louder . 8..9..10..11..12. "A twelve point" he yelled. What a deal. Jason has killed 2 does in the past but this is his first buck, He is one happy camper.

Now to concentrate on his brother Jake. Who by the way might be just a tiny bit jealous.
grin.gif

1113CIMG1690-med.JPG

111383652-R1-17-7A.jpg

1113CIMG1671.JPG

Nice deer! Great story also. Not a bad way to start the season off! Congrats to Jason and good luck with Jake!
peace.gif

Man them pics....you'll cherish them for years. Congrats to you both. Fantastic Buck young man.

Great recount of the story for us all to enjoy and a fantastic first buck for Jason. Good job for both hunter and mentor.

Nice buck! Way to give a kid the hunting bug!

[ QUOTE ]
Now to concentrate on his brother Jake. Who by the way might be just a tiny bit jealous.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should concentrate on getting me one of those.
grin.gif
I might be just a little bit jealous!
wink.gif

Top Bottom