Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Long distance food plotting

MN Slick

PMA Member
I’ve been using Lick Creeks plotting system for a few years but there are a lot of touches which is difficult from 5.5 hours away so I need to simplify. I’m going to try multiple sprayings this year rather than trying to keep the red clover/weeds mowed. Unfortunately, Gly alone isn’t taking care of everything so I need to turn up the heat. Would adding 2-4D to gly do the trick? I plan to spray around Memorial Day, again around July 4th to prep for brassica and a 3rd time about Aug 1 when I plant brassicas for the fall mix so that should allow enough time on the 2-4D. Better options?

Incorporating fertilizer is another problem. I have a small Kasco Versa Drill which is “no till” and have been trying to time urea with rains but it never rains In North MO, lol. Coated urea would be great but I've been unable to find any bagged as my plots are small. Going to a tiller would allow me to incorporate fertilizer and take care of any weeds/grass that the herbicide didn’t kill which sounds good. Is running a PTO tiller as bad for soil as some folks make it out to be? The Kasco is overkill for my acreage and my plan to expand acreage isn’t going to happen so going to a PTO tiller seems like a good option.

Insights would be appreciated. Thanks

If u want things DEAD - run Glufosinate. 45 oz with crop oil and no weeds will be alive. If u wanna add 2,4-d - would add nuclear bomb to it. U would be fine to plant later - a week or 2 - read 2,4-d label & delay will be based on which form of 2,4-d & rate.

Clover? Ya- will roast it all & pry want 2,4-d if doubt burn down to rotation if it’s no-till. Till- not as critical. I would NOT start ur sprayings now for BURN DOWN for fall plots. If u want a clean seed bed & plan on spraying it periodically..... I would not do clover - I’d do beans with a pre-emergent sprayed. U don’t want bare soil all summer. EITHER: Mowed clover or clean beans - one or the other. No 2,4-d in either scenario there. Only time 2,4-d is week or 2 before ur fall planting.

No till better. But - ur fine with tiller as long as u r not tilling extremely erodible areas and u r creating more organic matter with the Dbltree rotation. Which it will. Lots of p&k as well.

For treated urea..... call ahead - days in advance - to a local coop. Say this “hey, need a favor. When u have a slow time - could u fill a couple 55 gallon drums with treated urea & I pick em up?” Whatever. Something like that. Go bring em bunch of trash cans before-hand- whatever. Treated urea ain’t that hard to get- just find coop wanting to help u out.
Good luck!

Out of the box.... i know for most - food plots enjoyable BUT I sure wouldn’t rule out finding local area food plot guru to pay. Save u lot of gas & headaches & pry end up being overall cost saver. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Great info Sligh, thanks. I like the sound of Glufosinate. I let the rye run it's course last year and drilled brassica seed through it, the red clover, and weeds, then sprayed right after as an experiment but it never rained so no conclusion and had to seed it all to the rye mix Sept 1. I may try it one more time. Meanwhile I'll try to find someone to mow and spray. Easier said than done in North MO!

Great info Sligh, thanks. I like the sound of Glufosinate. I let the rye run it's course last year and drilled brassica seed through it, the red clover, and weeds, then sprayed right after as an experiment but it never rained so no conclusion and had to seed it all to the rye mix Sept 1. I may try it one more time. Meanwhile I'll try to find someone to mow and spray. Easier said than done in North MO!
Run your gly with trophy gold and AMS and you shouldn't have any weeds. Like sligh said I wouldn't be scared of tiller. As far as fertilizer goes for brassicas, get ya a soil test or go for a 75-50-50 with a fertilizer buggy from local co op, then till the fertilizer in, run your packer, seed, then pack again and wait for rain. My local co-op has these buggies and even has one with a Honda motor on the back so you don't have the PTO or hydraulics to hook up.
Also, where are you at in North Mo? May be close to me and could maybe help ya out.
fertilizer buggy.jpg
brassicas.jpg

Deep Woods, I'm in Putnam/Mercer County. Is Trophy Gold different than regular crop oil? I haven't ever run crop oil with gly.

Top Bottom