Long farm week & projects!!! Pond, trees & Prize winning bean plot too!!! :)

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by Sligh1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Maybe not prize winning. This is new farm that has been “bucks only” for past management & I have my work cut out for me!!! Killing a lot of does this year!!!! 8 acres beans, done perfect- fertility, rate, germination, spraying. Will produce a big huge goose egg- around ZERO bushels ;). 1st 2 pics are new farm with 5000000 does. 3rd pic is beans where I’ve managed doe #’s. Planted with days of eachother. Lil difference ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Managed farm, balanced deer #’s...
    [​IMG]

Brassicas... overall good. Some drilled and some “no till” with cultimulcher. Look close- u will see patches of clover I left for diversity. No N applied- burnt down clovers for N needs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This pic might not look like anything. I shoulda done better job. But- got on a “line” where clovers taper off & brassicas start & u can see the old rye mix following dbltree rotation. Building soil, rotating, producing & utilizing N. Will be 3 food sources or choices in 1 plot.
    [​IMG]

Mulched every fruit tree with limestone or woodchips. Thousands and I’m so sick of trees it’s crazy. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made an existing pond into 7.5 acres with some obvious but clever thinking of my buddy. 25-30’ deep & loading with structure. The old 4Runner hauled 8 good size cedars per load. Shelves, rock piles, trees, etc. for the kiddos.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Lil canal about 8’ deep & 20’ wide connecting a nice existing pond.
    [​IMG]
    Long days, lots more to do, hot & nasty but wouldn’t change a thing I spose. Time for season!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick, Deer&Ducks, Jmac0501 and 8 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

Looks great Skip

4. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

Very nice and I like the canal idea to tie the ponds together.

5. Brett Morris

Brett Morris PMA Member

I've always dreamed of building a pond like this. Keep us updated Skip!

6. deerdown

deerdown New Member

Got a lot done, got a lot more to do I suppose... Never ends

7. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Love this stuff. That pond looks great. It's nice to start fresh and put your own design on it. Tons of work getting done there!!

8. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

That’s the ironic part.... I’ve fixed up countless farms, “built habitat” or “rebuilt farms”, u name it- on farm stuff for deer/habitat/wildlife/conservation... know the routine.
    ON THE OTHER HAND!!!!!!!??!?!!???..... ponds- I suck!!!! Any tips appreciated!!! I’m not good at this stuff!!!!
    -Lots of structure will be added. Don’t know what I should or shouldn’t do though. I mean.... do I need lots of rock or not really? Is sand or pea gravel needed or not really? Pry want sand for kids to swim.
    -it’s deep so I dunno if solar aerators critical? I spose they can’t hurt & I need to get right sizing. Will have major grass buffers as well, huge grass waterways & eventually within short time have surrounding drainage in crp.
    -it’s got some bass & blue gill in it. Which clearly creates a challenge. What are my options for getting this dialed in for a variety of fish with the issue of having fish in there now?!? Will add grass Carp too. Want monster bass & if started from scratch would load up with fatheads & bluegill. maybe with cover they might survive if I put tons fatheads in?? Would love some channel cats & down road crappie but don’t know if that will hurt ability to have big bass???
    -fish feeder worth it?
    What else should I be doing?!?! Thx!!!!

9. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Fish feeder will add size to your bluegill and in turn help the bass size but the grass carp will suck up the feed really fast. Having a great population of bass will add to the size of bluegill. I had big bass for the first 10 years of my pond but when the originals died out so did the size. Get bass from two different sources so you kind of have a hybrid effect in the bass. I added crappie after the bass and bluegill became established. Most of the crappie are between 10 to 13" but probably have a effect on the bass for forage fish. I don't mind smaller bass if the crappie and bluegill stay good size. You really have to stay on top of a pond to keep it perfect. Like yearly shocking which I have never done. A fish manager said one time the perfect fish for big bluegill is a hybrid striped bass. His mouth is smaller than a largemouth bass. Now that would be a ride to hookup with one of those. I'm happy with the grass carp and don't have to do chemicals for the moss and coontail. Now if they would just eat cattails that would be great. Haven't seen any in the yard yet eating grass so they must have plenty to eat yet.

Sligh1 likes this.