Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for gun shops around Des Moines!

J

jbutenhoff

I want to start looking for a new Glock, and do not want to wait until April for the next gun show! Can anyone here recomend any dealers in the Des Moines area? About the only one I know of is Floyds, and I don't even have their address!

Also, anyone out there try deer hunting with a Glock 20. From what I have read the 10mm round will be nice for deer, since it approaches a 41 mag in power.

Thanks, Jamie

Floyds is located on Merle Hay Road directly east of Des Moines Chrysler....You might try Betts Hardware, Thoads Sporting Goods, and Frontier Outfitters. That's about the limit of my knowledge for Des Moines.

Go to Story City and you'll find Jacobson's Gun Center....one of the best in Central Iowa......For the best selection anywhere, go to Scheels in Iowa City at the Coral Ridge Mall just off I-80....by far the best inventory of firearms in the midwest, they have every model of Glock you could imagine.

I think that Floyds moved. I remember some tv ads to that effect.

I will look up the others!

Thanks,

Jamie

Try Jim's Gun & Pawn, they have usually have a good selection of pistols. Don't be afraid of the name, they do have quality stuff. Also you can try JLM Shooting Supply, I believe that is what it is called. Look them up in the phonebook for address's.
Just to warn you, the glock 20 has a large wide grip, I have large hands and the grip bothers me. Also, the gun has quite the kick. It puts my glock 22 to shame as far as kick. Otherwise it's a nice gun. Not extremely accurate, but accurate enough.
Hope this helps.

BT

JLM Shooters Supply is located on the SE corner of 109th and Douglas, in Urbandale. At the east end of a strip center.

Floyd's moved to a new location north of the Interstate--go north on Merle Hay Road to the first street that runs to the east, just to the south of the old Heard Nursery. Can't remember the name of the street, but there's a traffic signal there. They're down the hill, about a 1/4 mile east of Merle Hay in a business park building, almost at the far east end. Kind of hard to find.

There's also Frontier Outfitters on 100th Street, between Douglas and Hickman--don't know if they carry Glock, however. JLM probably has the best pistol selection on the western side of DM.

Floyds isn't located on merle hay road anymore there in the johnston district.

Thanks for all the leads! I drove around today and struck out on my Glock 20. The only place I didn't hit was JLM, since they closed at 3 and I got there at 3:30. I guess I will wait until the next gun show in April. Probably for the best since a used G20 would be fine with me and may save some money!

Once again thanks for all the help! It sure will be nice when the Scheels opens. I like local shops, but this area needs a better selection!

Jamie

MO-Antler,
I do think my Glock 22 has thin grips but I've become accustomed to this over the years. What's a set of Pach's cost? Is it anything like the Hogue grips? Thanks,
BT

Big Timber, just a hint on the grip thing. I carry a Glock model 22, .40 calibre, and have shot thousands of rounds thru it. I have a set of Pachmayr slip-on grips on my state issued gun and love them.

They're kinda tricky to get on, and you have to be careful not to push them up too high and cover the magazine release button behind the trigger guard. I have taken the pistol deer hunting, just haven't had the opportunity to shoot a deer with it, yet.

MO

If your still interested give JLM Gun SHOPPE a call at 515-331-1577, I know they handle Glock. I have been pleased with most my dealings with them in the past, and price wise they are usually pretty good. They also carry a good supply of used guns if you want to save a little more money.

I am kind of suprised that Jim's Pawn did not have one, I have had good dealings with them in the past too.

Also, as dumb as it may sound K's Merchandise always used to carry quite a selection of handguns, but I do not know if they carry Glock.

I did check K's merchandise, they were wiped out! Only had 2 models left. I ended up purchasing one today through Glockmeister.com and had it sent to a local FFL. I can't wait for my new toy!

Thanks again for all the help!

Jamie

Yea, I shoot at the Ike's. That is one nice range (except after the slug hunters site in their shotguns!)

As for my Glock hunt, I ordered one from Glockmeister.com and had it sent to a local FFL in Ames. Found him through Shotgunnews.com FFL search. His name is Dave and the company is Bear Creek Ent. So far he has been great to work with!

Jamie

Jamie,
Bear Creek Enterprises? I had a gun shipped to him a couple of weeks ago. Hell of a guy! We should get together sometime and shoot are 10mm's.
BT

Where do you pick up your 10MM ammo around here? I will probably start ordering it from Georga Arms, but does anyone here in Ames, or Des Moines have 10MM at a "practice ammo" price?

As soon as I get my Glock, I will be at the range the next Saturday, don't care if it is snowing, raining, or a tornado!

Jamie

Jamie, check with Jacobson's Gun Center in Story City or C&J Industries in Nevada....don't have their phone numbers, should be in the book.

Top Bottom