Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

loose powder measuring

Altiman94

As I close the books on the 2014 late muzzy season - I'm going to switch to loose powder for next year. What do you all use for a measuring device? Would like something that's easy to pour into the muzzle.

I shoot a smokeless and measure out the powder on a scale and then pour it into empty rifle brass and then stick a piece of a foam ear plug in the brass. To carry into the field I use those green containers used for pelleted powder. I think they say powder on one end and ball on the other. My brass fits in there perfectly. Pull the ear plug out and pour into barrel. Powder will not stick to the inside of the brass.

I shoot a smokeless and measure out the powder on a scale and then pour it into empty rifle brass and then stick a piece of a foam ear plug in the brass. To carry into the field I use those green containers used for pelleted powder. I think they say powder on one end and ball on the other. My brass fits in there perfectly. Pull the ear plug out and pour into barrel. Powder will not stick to the inside of the brass.

7MM mag brass with tire stem caps works great. No static with the brass and by design is has a built in funnel for loading the gun.

Lanes powder tubs. they make great speed loaders, Put your bullet and sabot in, nose down and load your powder charge, and your ready to go. I shoot 110 gr of BH 209, and there is still room at the top. Also the powder will not get by the sabot, they sell for $35 for 100 of them

This is what I use also, and then pour it into these, they have long and short ones, these are the long ones that I use for the range or as speed loaders for hunting.
picture.php

Last edited:
I had never thought of using big rifle brass. Thanks fellas. I weigh my blackhorn out after i based it off the average of 10 volumetric charges.
"im kinda picky and don't want to ever blame my equipment"
i think ill machine some plastic stops for some old 300 short mag brass i have laying around

I use 7mm mag brass as mentioned. Won't fit/drop into a .50 cal barrel. A 30-06 brass will fit and if you lose your grip it might go down into the barrel... Just something to think about.

Top Bottom