Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lost my permission

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
Last year was my first year turkey hunting. I got permission on some ground where I see birds a lot. I saw a lot of birds and turkeys come up into my decoys and harvested my first gobbler.

This winter i talked with the landowner and was given permission again for this spring. She did say, last year as well that a neighbor deer hunts and it was okay that i turkey hunt. Fair enough.

Today I got off work on time and rushed out there. Mind you I have already been out there this year. I’m set up and about 7 here comes a guy walking through the cornfield to me. I get out of my blind and he starts in on if I have permission and is all upset. I explain i do etc. and start packing up as the hunt is ruined. He’s not a friendly guy at all and leaves saying he’s going to talk to the landowner. If I didn’t stand up for myself and point out I was given permission the same as him and to quit being pissed/yelling at me I’m sure I would have got a butt chewing, he was about to just let loose on me. I get back to my vehicle and drive over. He’s already there and the landowner says she knows she gave him permission to deer hunt, but says she must have forget about turkeys( she’s elderly). So be it. I’m just really frustrated with having a good spot and this other guy being a complete dick to me when i had permission and did nothing wrong and pretty much ruins my hunt and kicks me off. I haven’t been that upset at that moment and my drive home in a long time. It’s no wonder people give up hunting and #s are dwindling, because i about could have right then. Rant over.

Any way, with two weekends left in the season getting permission on a another private is probably to late. Any one know of any public land spots the might hold some birds they use to hunt I could try to make a go at these next two weekends? Pm me if willing to point out any leads. I’m in the Des Moines area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to own land near Indianola, try that area south of Indianola-8-10 miles--knock on a few doors, I had permission to hunt on some areas without even really asking, they just said "you can hunt turkeys on mine" and there were quite a few birds in that area.

That sucks!!!! “People” in a lot of avenues, are the biggest issue with this sport. A lot of good people in hunting community but competition, access, ruined hunts, poor hunters, poachers - all the way to politicians & special interest groups/PEOPLE make it tough. If it was just “man in the woods”. “Man against nature” & pursuit of critters- that’s every hunters dream imo. Hope u find another spot!!!

*whatever the reason...... this season, I got hit up at least DOUBLE vs any other season for turkey hunting. Guys I never expected to ask me. I was surprised and caught off guard. I could kinda care less about turkeys but also wanna keep it somewhat peaceful & just shocking how many guys asked this season vs previous.

That sucks!!!! “People” in a lot of avenues, are the biggest issue with this sport. A lot of good people in hunting community but competition, access, ruined hunts, poor hunters, poachers - all the way to politicians & special interest groups/PEOPLE make it tough. If it was just “man in the woods”. “Man against nature” & pursuit of critters- that’s every hunters dream imo. Hope u find another spot!!!

*whatever the reason...... this season, I got hit up at least DOUBLE vs any other season for turkey hunting. Guys I never expected to ask me. I was surprised and caught off guard. I could kinda care less about turkeys but also wanna keep it somewhat peaceful & just shocking how many guys asked this season vs previous.

Lived in Clarke county going on 3 years now. Hunted down here for close to 7-8. This year, by far the most turkey hunters I’ve ever seen times 10. Hard for me to say hunting numbers are dwindling from what I’ve seen the last couple years. (My job has me out and about daily all year long). I’d say more people than ever are trying to get into the sport. I definitely don’t think it’s a bad thing. It’s just making for way more situations like what’s originally posted. Guys fighting over access. Only 2 outcomes I see with this. Pay to play or own land. Unfortunate, but the days of knocking on doors and getting access are going bye bye......and bye bye fast!

I hunt lots of places where I’m not the only hunter, It’s not that big of a deal. I like to get phone numbers when possible. That guy is just a dick and if I were the landowner and he came up to me like that I would have told him to leave and take his treestands with him

Guys like that make me mad, especially when they have permission too. It puts the land owner in a bad spot and leads to land owners just saying no all together so they don't have to deal with the mess. I hunt properties with other guys and we all coordinate just fine; all it takes is that one selfish jack wagon to ruin it for everybody tho.

I also think too many guys think permission one time means they can hunt anything, anytime. I've said this before, but I used to hunt a piece and every year the land owner would say, "you're the only one who's stopped in, so you should have it all to yourself.". Then I'd get there and run into the guys who would stop me to ask if I had permission, saying that he'd been hunting there for 10 years.
Hope you got a new place better than the last one!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Guys like that make me mad, especially when they have permission too. It puts the land owner in a bad spot and leads to land owners just saying no all together so they don't have to deal with the mess. I hunt properties with other guys and we all coordinate just fine; all it takes is that one selfish jack wagon to ruin it for everybody tho.

I also think too many guys think permission one time means they can hunt anything, anytime. I've said this before, but I used to hunt a piece and every year the land owner would say, "you're the only one who's stopped in, so you should have it all to yourself.". Then I'd get there and run into the guys who would stop me to ask if I had permission, saying that he'd been hunting there for 10 years.
Hope you got a new place better than the last one!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Should be, the new place is where I harvested my turkey Saturday! There were 3 or 4 more toms there for sure too

Can I Turkey hunt your place next year? If spring is too full I'll settle for the fall season

Top Bottom