Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lots of GPS research with little clarity

i recently purchased a new piece of hunting ground in wi close to the Mississippi River. Its 400 acres and I have an ambitious plan to map the deer trails to help with stand placement and general knowledge of the property.

What I would like to do is walk the trails with a gps or phone or whatever recording the routes I take. Understanding I may need to do the routes several times for accuracy.

I would then like to take the data I collect and move it into a mapping software so I can review and print the topo/satellite and hybrid maps with the marked trails on the map.

Can anyone help? I’ve looked at BaseCamp but it isn’t available anymore, I’ve tried several iPhone apps and none seem to meet the requirements of the project.

Thoughts?

Try runkeeper or some sort of software geared towards mapping out your workout course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a google program in past that was pretty good and free. U could “google it” ;)
Here’s what I do.... I get super high resolution aerials of my farms. I have a blank one saved. I redo it every year with “paint” photo program. I can see ditches in aerials and all details I need. Have this done for a “lot of land”. 400 acres- I think u will know every drop of that land faster than u think. I literally walked around with a high resoltion photo I printed and marked it up while I walked. Made electronic copies in 10-20 mins with “paint”.
When I bought a “big” new farm many years ago- it was super overwhelming. I thought take me years to digest it all. It didn’t. I’m still learning to tweak hunting spots many years later but I pry could walk a mile back in pitch dark and find anything. Just saying- high resolution aerial works for me and marking up with computer is sufficient but I know the “techy” guys will have a far better answer than me. And I’m open to new ideas too!! So- hopefully more posts with some options.....

Not what your asking but quick story

Google maps killed my first archery buck last year. I saw some good action in an area. Went home.... found where 5 deer trails came together. Marked it... went out at midnight & hung a set in that exact spot and killed the deer the next morning. Everyone knows this, but aerial imagery is a MAJOR MAJOR tool. Right up with trail cameras as far as "game changer".

Who y'all like in the digital mapping market? I've always just made my own from Google maps and stitched the images together to get high resolution of entire farms. Sometimes it takes 20-30 screenshots, lots of cropping and overlaying in PowerPoint. It isn't perfect but works pretty well.

I agree most what I want is in onX. However there maps are terrible. They are so overlayed with green, a person can’t find any natural landmarks.

I want to be able to print them and it doesn’t appear to have a good print feature.

This is a project I am not giving up on. I know I can learn this property without it, but this is a chance to really understand the why.

I have a Garmin GPS, and use Garmin BaseCamp and Google Earth. I can keep track of tracks and waypoints on the GPS then upload them to Basecamp and Google Earth. It seems like its never as easy as it should be but once everything gets synced up its nice, of course I don't use it all the time so always seems I have to relearn it each time. Google Earth is nice because you can go back and look at several years of past satellite maps. My Garmin chews through batteries though.

I also have ONX maps, its nice that its on my phone and easy to use then can just log in online from my desktop and its right there. I agree though, there maps detail is lacking. ONX though is about the only place i have found that I can have topography and satellite all together.

Top Bottom