Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Luckiest Guy on the site

IowaDave

PMA Member
Counting my blessings......
Yesterday my daughter & I went out to make the final preparations for youth season on an elevated box blind on the ground we hunt. The blind was built by another person that no longer hunts the property 10 years ago and I have since acquired the rights to hunt the property.

I carefully tested & inspected each rung of the ladder (the blind floor is at about 10-11') as I was climbing up and all was good. After getting the coon poop and a mouse nest out of the blind and stapling up some new camo burlap on the back of the blind to break up our outlines, we were ready to do a bit more scouting.
My daughter was already on the ground and off a hundred yards or so exploring. I had a few things in my hand and as I was standing on the ladder to pull the door shut (the door swings into the blind) and I must have had a little too much pressure on it and it came past center, swung out a little bit, I lost my balance, the door came off the hinges in my hand & I was airborne!

Somehow I landed on my feet & on a little bit of a backward incline and I rolled a few times, which I suppose took some of the shock away from the fall. I laid there for a minute & took a quick inventory of all my body movements. By God's grace, I was absolutely fine except for a slightly jammed thumb. I was a little afraid I'd be sore this morning, but I actually feel fine.

I think back on it and it scares the hell out of me to think of the hundred things that could have happened to make this outcome much different and it is making me tear up as I type this to think of my 7 year old daughter having to find her dad laying there hurt or worse a half mile from anywhere out there by herself, not to mention my wife & other 2 kids at home.

Please take extra time to inspect EVERYTHING on your stands and your all equipment when you're out this fall and don't get in a hurry getting into & out of your stands!
Have a safe season!!

Glad you are ok. Had similar thing last week as was "ABOUT" to lean back into my climbing belt and looked down to see the strap was almost off my jacket. Would have gone head over heels backwards from 20 feet up.

Had a rough 24 hours thinking about it and what almost happened. I know what your feeling mentally and it is indeed a scary sport sometimes.:(

holy cow, man...that sounds scary as heck. Sure glad you came out on the right end.

Glad your daughter didn't have to see that, it would have been terrifying.

Scary stuff right there. I'm glad you're ok and that you were able to walk away from it. I fell from 25 feet back in 2000 and fractured a vertebrae in my back. I count my blessings every single day ... it can happen before you even know it's happening. Be safe out there, EVERYONE!

-Longspurs-

Being attached to a climbing line from top to bottom is a life saver. Will be using that system myself this year.

Being attached to a climbing line from top to bottom is a life saver. Will be using that system myself this year.

X2
I will be using a climbing line as well, and I think they make getting up and out of the stand when you cant see alot more safe!

X2
I will be using a climbing line as well, and I think they make getting up and out of the stand when you cant see alot more safe!

I agree.........I have one on most of my stands. You don't have to spend a fortune on them either, especially if it means going without one all together. A simple heavy climbing rope with a sliding prusik (sp) knot attached to your harness could mean the difference between a 20 foot fall or a 5 five foot fall. Big difference.........

Very sincere post. Good to know you are ok. Tons of things can go haywire in a heart beat no doubt. Take your time is the best advice yet. This world is going way too fast the way it is, let alone when it comes time to enjoy a hobby.

I am very please to hear that you were not injured! :)

This unfortunate incident is a great reminder for everyone, think safety at all times when hunting this fall.

Top Bottom