Making deer tags good for any season, or how to get more than one buck tag HF218

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

Boy I hope I’m reading that wrong. Wants to basically be a floating tag? One way to kill more deer I guess. Not a fan of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

A typical day for a whitetail hunter in Iowa during the legislative session

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broot, Sligh1, flugge and 3 others like this.
  6. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

Nope nope nope...

7. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

Well, that happened quicker than I expected........

8. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

Did I read this correctly??

It applies to R and NR ?

9. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

I can definitely see this causing land access issues. If people from gun 1 are allowed to hunt gun 2, too many people will be in the field shooting at deer.

10. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Good grief....

11. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Against this, but curious if that would then make Iowa a 1 buck state or what their plan is.

12. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

Somebody here has to be in this Mitchell guys district. Please email him and try to Find out WTF he's trying to do. Joe.Mitchell@legis.iowa.gov

Ishi likes this.
  13. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

I actually like it as it is, even if NR cannot hunt both gun seasons. Would I like to see an option where a NR landowner could hunt both gun seasons...yes, but I like the setup now, as it spreads the pressure over Gun 1 and Gun 2. The last thing needed, is guys plugging away to fill all their tags for two seasons.

14. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

Also, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not reading this as just applying to the gun seasons. The way it reads to me I buy a bow tag and I'm ok to hunt any other season until I fill it.

15. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Same thing I'm getting. Looks like Joe Mitchell is 20 and is having a hard time filling his deer tags after being bottle fed during the youth season where they hunt til they kill.

Broot, deerhunter93, Sligh1 and 5 others like this.
  16. Hawk32

Hawk32 Active Member

I hope people are emailing or contacting your legislators on a lot of this crap. This is becoming a joke and I'm truly worried what the future holds if this pattern continues.

Sligh1 likes this.
  17. letem grow2

letem grow2 New Member

I can go for this as long as the only method for taking is a spear :eek:. But seriously, where are all these crazy ideas coming from?!?

18. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Iowa legislature! Or any state that finds out deer hunting has $’s behind it!!! Most states have ruined & ravaged their regulations.... coddled every need of every possible hunter..... insanely long seasons with 50 million weapons & ways to hunt to make sure any coddled desire is catered to.

This will never end UNTIL deer become like “pheasants” & “not a lot of people going after them”. If things go downhill- u won’t see all these new changes and all these silly laws & rules. U don’t see a “special season for pheasants” like.... “new weapon proposal- we suggest legalizing LAWN JARTS to hunt pheasants!!!” You don’t hear that stuff because pheasant season sucks VS what it used to be & not all the $ in it (deer tags, retail sales, gear, etc) like deer hunting.

Deer season is big $, gets a lot of attention & we must cater to any individual who is bummed out because they didn’t get their deer. Hunting needs to be more of a “guarantee” than it is now. It’s not fair I ate my buck tag this season!!! Would NOT have happened if: Instead of 4 months, 5 weapons to choose from & 6-7 different deer seasons like we have now.... “ Season is now 6 months!” “New weapons!” New this, new that, “this sounds great” “no one can argue with this feel good regulation!______”.
    It will never end if folks don’t fight back and draw some lines in the sand. Leave deer season alone!!!! If that’s the ONE message that could get to law makers - everyone could rest that our future will be optimistic. Aside from that- mess with it & just look to all the crap that goes on in Neigboring states that have caused the hunting to be a joke. Leave the Regs alone!!!!
    Folks need to understand the fragile resource we have. We can’t afford to liberalize our regs any more!! What group is effective that draws lines in sand??? NRA!!! They know that gun rights don’t change overnight... little by little. Why- they fight every “little” erosion of rights by legislatures. That’s exactly what we need IBA to do.... fight so that line in sand isn’t breached/crossed. Quit messing with the regs, STOP!!!!

19. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Rest assured that the IBA has or will be contacting this guy on his proposal.
    On another note about the IBA ..... I know preaching to the choir again :)
    The day is now that just our membership $ isn’t enough. They have hired a lobbyist for many years now which takes dollars.
    If we want to try and keep things normal the IBA needs our extra dollars to help get these radical ideas stopped.
    Every bit helps so if anyone can please do so and a good time to do so would be at the Deer Classic

20. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Spent some time at the Capitol today. We did not meet with the sponsor of this bill but several "hallway" conversations indicate this bill is aimed at increasing the number of deer killed every year. Legislators are hearing from their constituents that they are tired of vehicle/deer interactions. You can probably figure out who the "constituents" are.

meyeri, Broot, Tim Hull and 1 other person like this.
  21. Hawk32

Hawk32 Active Member

I did almost mount 6 of them on the front of the ford about a half our ago. Ice and fog made it difficult to avoid. But I still think this bill is retarded. I'd rather hit the deer.