Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Marginal Shot

Gundog

PMA Member
I am absolutely sick right now. I hit a 150 Class 10 point about 5 o'clock tonight but I hit him late. Right around the last rib but exited behind the ribs on the other side. He ran about 40 yards and stood for a couple of minutes and then jumped a fence into the CRP and went about 30 more yards and stood there for a good 25 minutes. At the last possible light he began to work down the hill towards a cove on the lake I was hunting. Any ideas on if he will be dead by morning. I don't plan on going back until the morning or should I give him longer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Gundog

Sounds like you hit him in the watermelon. Definitely give him till morning if not till mid afternoon. You did the right thing about not going after him till tomorrow.

Everyone says "look down hill and toward water". I'm thinking you will find him down by the cove tomorrow morning.

What'd the arrow smell/look like and what sound did the impact make? If you're sure it's a paunch hit I personally wouldn't take up the trail till first light. The only thing working against you is the warm weather - you run a fairly high risk of meat spoilage with these temps. Sounds to me like he's heading towards water - where most wounded deer head and usually expire. Good luck - you may be in for a long night
shrug[1].gif

Gut shot deer, especially large bucks can take awhile to expire. It is not out of the question (especially with the warmer weather, which will reduce the potential for shock to also kick in) you might be looking at 12-24 hours before the deer will die.

He will probably lay down and not move again or a very short distance, but if you pick up the trail to early and bump him from his bed you will probably loose him.

If you hit any part of the liver he should be dead in his bed by morning.

Its bad if the meat spoils but its worse to bump him if you are not sure on the hit and loose the deer altogether.

Good Luck

In front of the last rib? I would imagine you at least nicked the liver or got the grass bag (stomach). Give him till late morning, maybe noon, and then go find him. Maybe glass that pond area from a distance if possible, see if you can get a bead on him. I hit one about the 3rd rib from the back 3 years ago, stomach, acted very similar and went down within sight of the stand. Had to wait awhile before he died, but he didn't move once he bedded.

Good luck!

I hope this isn't too late, but I would wait until 2:00 or so, give him plenty of time to expire, the meat probably will be on the shady side whether you find him at 11 or 2 so just wait it out, I had a similar experience this year and was happy to recover mine.

Kratz

[ QUOTE ]
You did the right thing about not going after him till tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, good idea... you might have hit the liver, probably not diaphram, but most likely stomach---- he will not be far from where you last saw him! look near water too. hopefully there will be somewhat of a bloodtrail yet...
good luck. post the pictures of him when you get him
grin.gif
!

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Found him about 60 yards from where I hit him. He made about 8 beds and a circle back towards where I watched him stand for 25 minutes.

Top Bottom