Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meanv CSS

TimberPig

Since I couldnt keep string silencers on my Gaurdian I ordered one of Meanv's custom string suppressors. Without string silencers my bow sounded like a banjo. The CSS definately stopped the string noise, although it seems to produce a "thump" noise when the string hits it. To my ear it is far less annoying than the string noise though. I also noticed a reduction in bow shock or recoil, not that there was much of it in the Guardian to begin with.

What surprised me was the change in arrow speed. In stock form, my bow (30"-70#) was shooting a 400gr arrow at 300fps even. When the string silencers launched into oblivion speed jumped to 308. That I expected. Adding the Meanv caused the speed to jump again to 320fps. I didnt expect that. I'm not a big speed freak but 320fps with a 400gr arrow seems pretty fast.

Is it normal to gain speed from the STS type suppressors, and why? Is it causing the arrow to leave the string a little "cleaner"?

That is cookin'. Lots of energy there.
waytogo.gif

You gain speed because the arrow is actually released sooner from the string then if the stopper wasnt there.

If you look at a string shot without a CSS or etc... the string actually goes past cent and the arrow doesnt release till the string starts to come back.

The CSS just allows this to happen sooner.

Im just amazed at 12 fps gain.

[ QUOTE ]
You gain speed because the arrow is actually released sooner from the string then if the stopper wasnt there.

If you look at a string shot without a CSS or etc... the string actually goes past cent and the arrow doesnt release till the string starts to come back.

The CSS just allows this to happen sooner.

Im just amazed at 12 fps gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was pretty much what I thought was happening. I would guess that once the string passes the resting point it begins to pull back on the arrow and slows it down. I was also surprised by the amount of speed gain.
Its nice to finally have a bow that will produce the advertised speed with a real world arrow.

I've done my fair share of Guardians and one doing 320 at 30" with a IBO arrow (350gr) is fast. Remove the hush kit from the string is about 5fps and the CSS or STS are not known for increasing speed but I have seen 1-2 fps.

400gr w/peep in string getting that kind of speed I would say you have one of those that are the exception.

[ QUOTE ]
I've done my fair share of Guardians and one doing 320 at 30" with a IBO arrow (350gr) is fast. Remove the hush kit from the string is about 5fps and the CSS or STS are not known for increasing speed but I have seen 1-2 fps.

400gr w/peep in string getting that kind of speed I would say you have one of those that are the exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, maybe I should keep this one for a while. I dont remember what the birth certificate said, but Boyd did say it was the fastest one he had seen at that point. I also think it went 73lbs on his scale so that helps too. Seems like he had a Commander (32"DL?) that was shooting 325fps but with a lighter arrow.

Top Bottom