Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo

We are going to put some milo in this year, suppose to get planted in the next couple of weeks or so. I will keep you guys updated.

I have put it in for several years but once the head turns the deer and birds eat it all in no time, usually by mid Oct. Got mine from welters.

? at welters they have a soybean milo mix that u plant 150 ponds per acre,
and they also have milo or grain sorghum that u plant at 15 pounds per acre.
my question is could i buy some of the milo or grain sorghum, and go to my local co op and get a bag of left over beans for cheap, or even free and add those in?
or should I just go ahead and order the soybean milo mix? has anyone ever tried this?

Never tried it before, but don't know why it wouldn't work. We often get free seed from local dealers who have broken bags, year old left overs, etc.

NWBuck

? at welters they have a soybean milo mix that u plant 150 ponds per acre,
and they also have milo or grain sorghum that u plant at 15 pounds per acre.
my question is could i buy some of the milo or grain sorghum, and go to my local co op and get a bag of left over beans for cheap, or even free and add those in?
or should I just go ahead and order the soybean milo mix? has anyone ever tried this?

If you look back thru this thread you'll see that I bought milo seed and mixed with free RR soybeans picked up thru NWTF and the IDNR and they did great!

Plant milo at 6-10#'s and soybeans at 50#'s per acre :way:

Thought I would share some pictures of my cooper's wildlife sorghum KS989
I broadcast and spread 220 lbs urea and 200 lbs each of P & K acre. Despite the lack of rain in my area it is doing very well. Another reason to listen to Dbltree

image-2185803986.jpg

Attachments

• image-3818411261.jpg
    image-3818411261.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 524
Thought I would share some pictures of my cooper's wildlife sorghum KS989
I broadcast and spread 220 lbs urea and 200 lbs each of P & K acre. Despite the lack of rain in my area it is doing very well. Another reason to listen to Dbltree

View attachment 1407

I have several heads on mine, but man are the roots starting to yellow. Even this drought tough crop is struggling! REALLY, REALLY need that rain Wednesday!

Wgf

Dbltree,

Is the WGF Milo good for doves as well? If so, when would you plant it to have it ready for a Sept 1st opener? July 1?

Thanks.

Steve

Dbltree,

Is the WGF Milo good for doves as well? If so, when would you plant it to have it ready for a Sept 1st opener? July 1?

Thanks.

Steve

WGF sorghum is a "red" seeded milo and has a high tannin content until frosts sweeten it which is helpful for those of us that want late season food and prefer not to have it eaten before Oct 1st!

You would want a white seeded milo that is attractive earlier like some of these options

Milo seed

Check with Welter Seed

or call Aaron Palm at Iowa-Missouri Hybrids 641-919-1695

Pheasants forever has some free milo or sorghum available this year. I just picked some up from my NRCS office. I actually just signed something, grabbed it and threw in my car so I forget if it was milo or sorghum BUT it was free and at NRCS office, I would imagine many counties may have this connection/availability.

are u planting any Milo this year?

Yes, I am planning on it. One key in my mind is that it is very drought tolerant! :way: I grew some last year and where most other plots failed due to the lack of rain for months, milo came through fair to good. It also provides both food and cover, especially for birds. I am trying to build a nice flock of pheasants on my place and a couple of coveys of quail would be nice too.

I also plan on planting about a 1/2 to 3/4 acre plot of egyptian wheat for bird food and cover. This is in addition to a couple of EW plot screens too. I am going to plant the EW block right next to a block of milo, some of which is adjacent to a CIR switchgrass planting. I am trying to provide maximum food and cover, primarily for game birds, but deer will use it too.

November 1st 2013

Jess planted milo/grain sorghum on a farm in NC MO and the landowner reports that deer are already feeding on it

I like milo better then corn because coons and squirrels don't feed on it...

and deer rarely feed on the growing milo, whereas they often decimate corn and soybeans by mid summer

Milo is a short season, dryland crop that is very drought tolerant and a fantastic food/cover source for upland birds such as quail, pheasants and turkeys not to mention less expensive to grow than corn. Grain sorghum is worth adding to your rotation to add diversity to your habitat program... :way:

Top Bottom