Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral

Bearman205

I was wanting to get some opinions on when people put mineral out? I usually wait till the spring to start putting mineral out, but I was talking to a guy the other day and he said he starts as soon as the season ends. So I was wondering when most of you start putting it back out?

I was always told deer need the minerals in the winter when and before the antlers drop. I agree get them going now..

Yep, soon. Skeletal systems replenish now or when antlers drop. You immediately see nubs starting - so it's in the works. Get em out.

So how are you feeding minerals to herd this time of year...I Haven't seen many deer frequenting our typical mineral/salt sights this time of year??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Right or wrong, I usually refresh existing mineral sites in late February or March. They seem to take to it fairly soon afterwards.

Skip what are you using for your mineral?

Any of the minerals that are about 8% phosphorous. They usually have all the other key things (long list). This or Kent 365 are good examples. I put about 2-3 lbs dried molasses on it as well. I do put blocks in the locations with the loose mineral as well.
f5cd0a025db98ad4cba26683b56de2eb.jpg
d9cdfb83a0b2f4cb6f2f905eb633ffaf.jpg
2ea411507e43682500a9456b6f9521a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any of the minerals that are about 8% phosphorous. They usually have all the other key things (long list). This or Kent 365 are good examples. I put about 2-3 lbs dried molasses on it as well. I do put blocks in the locations with the loose mineral as well.
f5cd0a025db98ad4cba26683b56de2eb.jpg
d9cdfb83a0b2f4cb6f2f905eb633ffaf.jpg
2ea411507e43682500a9456b6f9521a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sligh,
Here is what I used to do from a past member:

"1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the label.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

2 parts Stock salt, ice cream salt.

(I like to add a bag of Sweet Mag as well! ) "

Yours is much easier, question I have is are they both doing the same? If so one bag is plenty.

Thank you.

Thank you Sligh,
Here is what I used to do from a past member:

"1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the label.

2 parts Stock salt, ice cream salt.

(I like to add a bag of Sweet Mag as well! ) "

Yours is much easier, question I have is are they both doing the same? If so one bag is plenty.

Thank you.
Maybe. I recall doing some di-cal & all that in past. I don’t recall how it all came out. Off the top of my head - above recipe.... I THINK it may have been a lot more salt & lacked some nutrition or was a good bit off. I could be wrong on that. Obviously salt is good attractant but not good for much else. Why I use a little molasses- don’t have high salt #’s & molasses attracts as well. Minor but even has a little protein.
For above bags- I’m in the $20-ish/bag range. Which- again, I don’t think u can beat that unless u bought mixed feed by bulk (not really an option). I mean, maybe u could a little cheaper with higher salt or generic brands. Maybe. Molassses is like $5 for 50 lbs bag too.
Bout late July I add granulated garlic & sulfur to it & more molasses - I personally am convinced it does help with midges (ehd) & even ticks & stuff (which suck deer dry). All this “fairly inexpensive”. I 100% believe they have a huge list of benefits. I’m convinced - no question In my mind.

Are you guys just putting this on the ground? I only have about 20 acres so if I just put it on the ground, I won't be able to hunt my property. do you guys have any ideas on what I could put it in/on that wouldn't let it leach into the ground and deer would still take to it? I know putting it on the ground is the best way but I just am not able to do it. Thanks

Are you guys just putting this on the ground? I only have about 20 acres so if I just put it on the ground, I won't be able to hunt my property. do you guys have any ideas on what I could put it in/on that wouldn't let it leach into the ground and deer would still take to it? I know putting it on the ground is the best way but I just am not able to do it. Thanks
I would look into lick tubs like used for cattle.

Top Bottom