Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus results

MN Slick

PMA Member
I'm looking for an update from those that planted this on their farms 3-4 years ago. I read the thread in Doubletree's Corner but there hasn't been much for updates from those that planted years ago. Central, Onecam and anyone else, can you provide some feedback?

I need to plant some kind of screen and this stuff looks great but would be a large investment due to the length I'm looking to screen so I want to make sure it's worth the risk. My farm is in Northern Missouri and the screen will be on higher ground.

Thanks

Mine are thriving and doing well. Remember spring and part of the summer these will not give you screening as last years growth breaks down and the new starts. I have been mowing mine in late winter or early spring. It is a quick option if needed and it has been durable throughout the winter and I have been pleased with it's winter and drought hardiness..

Last edited:
In Missouri, bamboo might be also an option to look at, rhizomes run like brome, but more like on steroids, but the positive is it also fills in places fast that way. Once established, may stay evergreen if winter is not too harsh. Seems like a good place for critters to hide, so may work as good wildlife habitat, too. Native Americans hunted a lot in canebreaks.
December photo showing 3 species of several bamboo that I am growing
boombaa.jpg

Last edited:
BigfootWillow.com said:
In Missouri, bamboo might be also an option to look at, rhizomes run like brome, but more like on steroids, but the positive is it also fills in places fast that way. Once established, may stay evergreen if winter is not too harsh. Seems like a good place for critters to hide, so may work as good wildlife habitat, too. Native Americans hunted a lot in canebreaks.
December photo showing 3 species of several bamboo that I am growing

How far North in MO are you?

Sent from my iPad using IW

How far North in MO are you?

Sent from my iPad using IW

Hi, I mentioned Missouri because Op said their farm was there. I grow my bamboo in Western Iowa along with other giant grasses for this tall grass prairie :grin: Arundo Donax was the one with the most instant gratification, hitting 18 feet tall I think only 3 years later, but when -20's hit, adios.

Here is photo of giant miscanthus behind me and me in the variegated giant miscanthus.
556566_117965978351911_164526937_n.jpg

Top Bottom