Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

I just found some Miscanthus on ebay. It is selling for 2.85 for a 1/2 gallon section. I am looking to buy around twenty of them if anyone knows if i could find them cheaper some where else, the help would be greatly appreciated. There are also people trying to sell the seeds of what they say is a Miscanthus giganteus but it must be seeds from some other grass so be careful when you buy.

I just found some Miscanthus on ebay. It is selling for 2.85 for a 1/2 gallon section. I am looking to buy around twenty of them if anyone knows if i could find them cheaper some where else, the help would be greatly appreciated. There are also people trying to sell the seeds of what they say is a Miscanthus giganteus but it must be seeds from some other grass so be careful when you buy.

Seeds?? Yikes! :confused:

Here's a good source at reasonable prices

Miscanthus Source

Glad to see this thread getting some recent replies because we are thinking of planting some this spring.

Goatman- when you say 'huge', how big do you mean? We are going to plant some primarily as a screen from the neighbors- can you see thru yours? Do you think 2 rows would be better for the purpose we're trying to accomplish or would 1 be enough?

Here's mine from last summer. Over 10' and one row.
4039-grass1.jpg

Here's mine from last summer. Over 10' and one row.
4039-grass1.jpg

One more question for you goatman-
This may be a dumb question, but is it that thick in the fall & winter too after it dies?
We were thinking we might want 2 rows, but I can't see squat that's behind yours and if it stays that way in the fall i think 1 might do the trick.
Thanks for your help on this, btw! :way:

IowaDave
It does stay that way into winter. Right now alot of the leaves have come off and you can see through it some. I'm expecting it to be even thicker this year.

Paul do you know if they sell them in smaller quantities or do you have to buy a minimum of 100?

I emailed them the same question to them and this is what i got for a response...

Hello, Yes we sell in that quantity. Simply log on to the online shippable cataglog, go to grasses and find miscanthus giganteus. We sell in increments of 10, so order 2 of the 10 is you wish. The cost is 26.95 ea. 10 piece order, 8.95 for the first 10, and 3.00 shipping ea 10 increment thereafter. We only accept paypal online, but if you wish you may print of the order form on the home page and send a check to us. We will contact you before shipping, likely towards the end of April. Thanks, Kathy

Sorry if this as already been posted earlier in the thread, I was skimming through it rather fast. What is generally the best time to get the rhizomes in the ground? :confused: I have 20 on order, they're def. not cheap so I don't want to screw this up!

Sorry if this as already been posted earlier in the thread, I was skimming through it rather fast. What is generally the best time to get the rhizomes in the ground? :confused: I have 20 on order, they're def. not cheap so I don't want to screw this up!

I am certainly not an expert at this but I think anytime now is fine...;)

Goatman or anybody? in the picture from Goatman is the "row" how far apart did you plant the rhizomes? Perfectly straight or did you stagger them?

Goatman or anybody? in the picture from Goatman is the "row" how far apart did you plant the rhizomes? Perfectly straight or did you stagger them?

Fairly straight and 4' apart. I was out tonight and burn it off and saw a sprout poking its head up. Stuff is faster than native grass.

You want to get this done by mid April. I split a bunch that was planted on April 16 in 2008 on Saturday in south Central Iowa and they looked like they were just starting to put on this years growth.

You want to get this done by mid April. I split a bunch that was planted on April 16 in 2008 on Saturday in south Central Iowa and they looked like they were just starting to put on this years growth.

You just use a sharp shovel to split them Travis??

Some I did with a spade some I did by hand. By hand takes more time but you can get individual rhizomes instead of clumps. Time will tell what's best.

Be careful what you plant and where you plant it. Although it may make great screening cover, non-natives, especially from Asia are too aggressive in the US. Anything that grows this fast and spreads by rhizomes (AKA Johnsongrass) is never a good thing in the long run! Planting this for biofuel where it can be kept in check is one thing. Planting it as wildlife cover in old fields or idle areas is another. Not telling you what to do, just food for thought!

Be careful what you plant and where you plant it. Although it may make great screening cover, non-natives, especially from Asia are too aggressive in the US. Anything that grows this fast and spreads by rhizomes (AKA Johnsongrass) is never a good thing in the long run! Planting this for biofuel where it can be kept in check is one thing. Planting it as wildlife cover in old fields or idle areas is another. Not telling you what to do, just food for thought!

Its sterile. Only way to produce it is by planting rhizomes.

And Rhizomes spread, correct? We think a lot of things are sterile, such as hybrid fish but nature has a way of making things work! A percentage of hybrids can reproduce. Like I said, not telling you all what to do, just making a valid point for consideration.

And Rhizomes spread, correct? We think a lot of things are sterile, such as hybrid fish but nature has a way of making things work! A percentage of hybrids can reproduce. Like I said, not telling you all what to do, just making a valid point for consideration.

Miscanthus will not spread or I wouldn't even have a thread on it. I fully understand and appreciate your concerns however because some, like Pampas Grass do spread and is terribly invasive, so it's important to know for certain what one is dealing with...;)

All my grasses made it through the winter...They have all sprouted. I was going to split them this yr. but wasn't sure if I should because I wasn't sure if I would of winter kill or not. Now I wish I would of split them. Is it to late to split them once they have sprouted?

Top Bottom