Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mixing Herbicides

I've got about an acre of clover with some grass left and lots of weeds. I've got both Clethodim for the grass and Butyrac for the weeds. I'm using a 25 gallon atv sprayer and it takes the tank to cover the acre.
I'm planning on using 16 ounces of the clethodim with 32 ounces of crop oil. Does this sound about right? Also, hoping I can add the Butyrac in the same tank. If I can, how much?

Any help would be appreciated

Your rate on Clethodim should work- I'd read label on your crop oil, I got some last year that was pretty "hot" and needed a far lower rate- if that's what it calls for- 32, I'm sure you'll be fine. I like going heavier on the Clethodim, I usually use about 16 oz as well and cover the grass really good. I just mow it and it kills most the broadleaves and the Clethodim kills the grass SO not sure on the Butyrac, I haven't needed it so far- I'm sure Dbltree will know!

I called Keystone to find out what they recommend. Do not mix the 2!. The problem is the crop oil. Butyrac should be mixed with water only at 2 qts. per acre. The Clethodim can be applied with crop oil as i've done in the past with 16 oz. per acre.

I mixed 2,4-DB and clethodim with nonionic surfactant last year and it did OK but I would have liked a little more weed kill. I mixed it kinda light though. Don't remember the ratios. Something like 20oz of butyrac, 10 oz of 2EC and about a pint of surfactant in 25 gals of water. Kinda light compared to yours but I was paranoid about killing the clover.

The 'Bonker

Clover is pretty nasty tough stuff- i even have a tough time killing it with a strong treatment of round-up when I'm intentionally trying to get rid of it. I'd rather put too much Clethodim VS too much crop oil though. I've found using Clethodim at light levels is not very effective. I go heavy on Clethodim and also go heavy on how much I cover the grasses- I make sure they get covered.

Hello, new to the forum, interesting reads on here, I am always seeing how others do things and looking for something new. I plant a lot of clover for my plots in MS. I use generic Select(Clethodim) for my grass control, the label calls for 8-16 oz per acre, with non-ionic surfactant, crop oil, or corn oil. I find the same results as what I have read here, I usually find out it takes at least 12 oz per acre to get very good results if the grass is established, I have mixed mine with 2-4 DB (Butyrac 200), the label calls for 1-3 quarts per acre and it really depends on the weeds and stage of growth, both work better if the grass/weeds are young, but I find that you need at least 2 quarts per acre minimum in my case, for broadleafs I too try to mow first for control then if needed in 2-3 weeks I will spray.
I have also used generic roundup for control but only use one pint or less per acre. Any higher concentration and you will see some burning and stunting of the clover.

I've got about an acre of clover with some grass left and lots of weeds. I've got both Clethodim for the grass and Butyrac for the weeds. I'm using a 25 gallon atv sprayer and it takes the tank to cover the acre.
I'm planning on using 16 ounces of the clethodim with 32 ounces of crop oil. Does this sound about right? Also, hoping I can add the Butyrac in the same tank. If I can, how much?

Any help would be appreciated

Crop oil varies by variety. Read the specific crop oil label you have. Some are “hotter” than others.

I personally would run Butyrac separately. Likely be fine with tank mix but it’s labeled for separate use. It’s been while since I’ve run butyrac so check label on that as well. Mowing usually covers most issues of broadleaves but butyrac is an effective herbicide.

I would not mix if i had the time to spray separately. This is where IMOX shines, but is more expensive. IMOX handles both grass and broadleafs in one.... just another option.

Your at 1% v/v on crop oil. That's correct for alot of them, but not all. As Skip said, check label. (ie I have some that call for 1/2% v/v)

Top Bottom