Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

I put in 3 different cedar trees cut to 8' and put them 2' in the ground and drilled 2 one inch holes in the top to place new licking branches in them as the season progresses...worked amazing last year and the deer hit them right away. work amazing and good for a yardage marker for the girlfriend by placing it 20yards infront of the stand

I put 3 new willows in feeding areas last Friday, and one yesterday, to help come up with a plan for the opening week of youth season, None of the bucks I am waiting for showed, but all the trees got a lot of attention.

This tree I put in yesterday. They were cautious, but could not resist.

The last tree I put in a week ago, has really been the hub of all activity on this 12 acre bean field. No corn or mineral at all for inventory on this field. I just put the tree in the first row of beans, by a mulberry that always has scrapes every year. The old mother coyote came thru early, then a few bucks, but from about 11:00 on it was a street fight between a dozen bucks all night. Surprising how wound up they all are for how early and hot it is. Nothing huge but just a matter of time before the bosses show up to clean house.

Then the bitch is back

Great pics 6x6 :way: Looks like you've got the same issue we do right now heading into youth season...the best bucks on the farm are only showing up at dark. Hopefully a cool snap will help get them moving during shooting hours.

NWBuck

Wow just saw this thread and have almost wasted 2 hours of work going through it and making notes for next week when i go check cameras!! Will be putting a few of these up to see what happens. Awesome post and thanks for all the info and pics.

Unbelievable! Really gets a guy pumped up for the end of October to roll through or at least some cooler weather :way:

6x6,
Do you put any scent down around or on these trees or do you just let the scent from the willows do it all?

Had a couple cedar trees in the yard I wanted to cut down.. Figured I might as well put them to good use! I dug about 2-1/2' down into the concrete, I mean dirt, with a post hole digger.. It actually went easier than I had anticipated. Put the cedar tree into the ground and tamped the dirt back into the hole. Used my Wicked saw to rough it up a bit and smeared some Code Blue Rack Rub onto the 'rub' and branches that I left for licking branches for scrapes. We'll see how it goes. I'll try to remember to update with some usesage pics!

1240457_10151855934679609_1355507993_n.jpg

1175712_10151855934669609_620513232_n.jpg

Oh Yeah, that's gonna get shredded! I like the cedars because they keep that great smell and have plenty of overhanging branches. I have had good luck with common willows too, but location is everything. Any softer type tree, in the right spot works. I just try to put the trees in the feeding areas, to put them in front of the camera. I like to have the feeding area as a background, like a plotwatcher. The only scent I use/leave is my sweat in that 95+ degree last week.

Oh Yeah, that's gonna get shredded! I like the cedars because they keep that great smell and have plenty of overhanging branches. I have had good luck with common willows too, but location is everything. Any softer type tree, in the right spot works. I just try to put the trees in the feeding areas, to put them in front of the camera. I like to have the feeding area as a background, like a plotwatcher. The only scent I use/leave is my sweat in that 95+ degree last week.

I put one up in my food plot also, just didnt get any pics yet.. as of right now there is only one buck using my property and he is just a small 6 pt.. should have some bigger ones dispersing to my area soon. I cant wait to get some sweet pics!

I put one up in my food plot also, just didnt get any pics yet.. as of right now there is only one buck using my property and he is just a small 6 pt.. should have some bigger ones dispersing to my area soon. I cant wait to get some sweet pics!

They seem to always show up for ya as fall goes on. Usually the first thing a big buck does here when moving in, is to tear up the tree and make it his.

So far only does at one of my willows, using the branches. Hopefully will get a bigger tree set there soon, and maybe do some cedars elsewhere.

I should have buried mine deeper this year. 2 of them are leaning badly now. I'll get some pics up when I pull cards next week. Fun stuff

That clean ten looks like he will be somebody! Don't get much more perfect side to side than he is. The big gap between his brows tells me he will only get wider with age. This post always has me on my toes, just waiting for the day you catch the bruiser of the woods tearing stuff up!:way:

I put a new one in a couple days ago. They took to it pretty well!
Its a willow with a basswood licking branch. No reasoning on the basswood, was just a close tree. Straightened it out and put a camera on it today.

They're still hitting them off and on. Some great pics and vids off of mine this year.

This morning
picture.php

Top Bottom