Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

FYI - Our "fake trees" continue to draw interest from all deer, but very little actual rubbing. They have all the low hanging branches twisted into pretzels and very much appear to be using them for licking branches too.

We have run a cam in video mode over the one tree much of the fall and have any number of short video clips of deer and almost all of them visit the tree before moving on. Thanks again for this great idea, next year I will prime the pump and skin the bark up more while the tree is still fresh and see if that doesn't spur some rubbing, but overall these trees have been a real success for us.

THis is my favorite thread of the year.....excellent! Thanks for the time and sharing your info with all of us....very educational! :way:

Agreed, we had great success doing this on our farm this year and a buddy of mine had his getting mauled as well. I'm starting a small willow nursery in a wet area to give me a yearly supply of rubbing trees.

Related question for some of you experts on scrapes.Why do some scrapes get used every year and some are used for awhile then abandoned?

Muddy- I think I have the photobucket figured out, we'll see.

Yesterday I was swapping cards and moving cameras, so I took a few pictures of the rub trees, that were the most important in getting the bucks my youngest son, Corben and I shot this season. They are so beat up, I may have to cut them off and put em in my house, wifes gonna love it. From what I learned this season, next year I will put skinny trees, 3"-5" around, with alot of branches in about the end of august, but mid october put in fresh big ones, 7-12" diameter. They seem to really like the bigger ones then, with a fork and a couple long branches.

The first one is in a hilltop 12 acre cornfield with clover and brassicas/radishes around the edge and a small plastic lined waterhole. My blind is at the top of a ditch running up a steep hillside, making for an easy in and out without anything on the field seeing us. Both of our bucks hit this tree hard as soon as they moved onto the farm.

[edit- this first pic is from the creek bottom field, cant seem to move it]
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

107_0238.jpg

107_0240.jpg

107_0237.jpg

107_0234.jpg

This one is next to an automatic water tank, in an old cattle lot by my house. It had 3 year old clover in it that I mowed down to the ground and overseeded brassicas/radishes, aug. 1st. It did real good. My buck never came this close to the house, but Corbens buck was there in the middle of every night.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The other night I was outside and could hear the deer crunching on the turnips.
107_0261.jpg

107_0269.jpg

107_0274.jpg

107_0275.jpg

107_0268.jpg

And this is the creek bottom field we both shot our bucks in. The blind sits at the top of the creek ditch, with a real slick in and out, useing the deep creek ditch. Nothing ever sees us coming or going. Standing corn,2 acres of clover and brassicas/radishes that I overseeded in the edge of the clover and weak spots in the corn. Corbens buck was just getting to the rub tree when he shot him Oct 17th. My buck worked the trees 12 hours before I shot him and was heading to them when I got him Jan. 9th. Originally the 2nd tree was for the camera, but they destroyed a reconyx right away, so I put another one up on a metal camera mount.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

107_0256.jpg

107_0254.jpg

107_0252.jpg

107_0249.jpg

The trees made it possible to keep track of these bucks untill crossing paths with them.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I only use the diamond willows, anyone else try others, cedar,basswood? The deer are still scent marking them, but not rubbing much. I suppose they will do that throughout the year. Maybe even use them to get their 2nd antler off. If I bring a couple in the house, what would I want to seal them with, to keep the fresh rubbed color and not dry out?

Last edited:
Ok, so how do I get the photobucket pics to show up, not the code. Can anyone edit this and fix it? Thanks

Joe Awesome Pictures!!
How much snow you got out there??
We have 6 in. on the ground now and today were supposed to get 6-10 in. Its snowing like crazy now and 0 wind.

Awesome work 6x6. Every bit of it. I LOVE the look of that hillside just off the field you guys killed your deer on. Looks knarly and nasty...or simply put, PERFECT. Congrats on another great season!!

I am guessing 5 years old, from the last 3 seasons of pictures and sheds. He sure had a huge body and neck for mid-october. I dont know where he summered, but he always showed up in the fall. My buck, I had never seen before he showed up for those nov. 23-24 pictures. He took over as the dominant buck for that area, and stuck around. Its funny how you study velvet bucks all summer, then fall comes and they move off, but new bucks show up. Thats why I think if you are watching a great buck all summer, you better get him the first week of Oct.

Thanks for bearing with me today, while I was figureing out this photobucket thing, kept deleteing pics and putting the wrong code in. Finally got it right now, except the first pic is in the wrong place and I am not even gonna try to delete it. I'm done.

I am gonna leave the cameras on the trees, just to see how much they continue checking them.

7 inches of fresh snow today.
Let us know how you do shedhunting Joe! That would be awesome to see some of those giants!!

Can someone put this as a sticky topic...I would like to come back to this year after year....

This is one of the best threads out there IMO... :way: Again, as I've said a couple times, thanks for sharing!

Can you talk about how you use these to monitor your bucks and how you use that info to help your hunting? For example where do you place them/how often you check/when you check etc/when do you move in for the kill?

The Hook buck my 16 year old son Colton was trying to get with his bow is a good example. Even though he never got him, we had 2 good opportunities at this tree setup. With school, football and a part time job, he only could hunt sunday afternoons and needed a nw wind. The buck was very easy to pattern thru october. This tree is 20 yards from a boxblind, with a 30 ft wide 1/4 acre of clover, leading into a 2 acre standing corn patch. From the first day I put it in, early oct. he would come out of the timber every evening, feed thru the clover, check and work the tree then move on.

picture.php

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Not long after dark, he would show up at the watertank by my house, work that tree and feed on the radish/turnip tops. By sunup he would be back up feeding thru the corn/clover checking the tree by the blind, then head back into the timber on the same trail he came out on the evening before. That all went out the window during the first week of november.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Colton's first chance, the buck fed past, a little over 20 yards way, but at the shot he dropped like a rock, and the arrow went right over his back. Deer always seem to drop more, when shooting out of the blinds, ask Bill Winke. Seems to be alot louder than from in a tree. The 2nd chance another buck came out as Hook was coming at 30 yards, but then they postured and pushed each other off the field.

The trees work great to pattern the bucks during october, when hunting feeding patterns. Like Dbltree recommends, I try to have good feed 12 months out of the year in my feeding areas to condition them to feed there, and when you put a sign post rubbing tree out in it, it also conditions the bucks to always check and mark it whenever they go thru that field. Since it is a feeding area, when we are hunting a certain buck, I will check the cameras as often as the wind allows me to. Alot of times I will pull all the cards that I can with that wind the same day as hunting it, to help decide which field to hunt. I always do it mid day 11:00-12:00. If nothing else its just a great way to position them in the feeding area for great pics, and keep track of which fields they are useing and when. During late october and november alot of my bucks will hit almost every feeding area tree within a 24-48 hour period so it helps get a line of travel on them.

Joe do you find sheds by your mock rubs? I don't have any cameras over mine but I noticed there still messing with them.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom