Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morels

Buddy of mine found these today..
IMG_20130429_170805.jpg
and anyone know what these are??
PART_1367269882803.jpg

Beefsteak ...type of false morel...some get sick when they eat them...some dont...just be cautious and try small portions.

It is indeed a false morel.

According to the Audobon Society's Field Guide to North American Mushrooms, it's a Snowbank False Morel (may also be a Gabled False Morel. "...though no deaths have been linked to it, its toxins can cause blood poisoning, diarrhea, severe headaches, and vomiting".

Also, please tell your buddy to pinch off the mushrooms at the stem. It's best not to pull them, otherwise they won't grow the following year.

Havent found any yet... today is exactly one month later than we found the first ones last yr in the Muscatine area.. crazy. Ive never not found a mushroom in April.

How far south there, streitl? I'm headed to monona county this weekend and may take a peek, that is if there is no snow on the ground.

Mother Nature has lost her mind! In my short time on this earth I don't think I have ever seen snow in May. What will this do for morels? Will they be able to be found after it warms up again?

They will be fine. I expect a better year than we have had for awhile. Our last 3 have been poor compared to other years. No pics Landon?

Top Bottom