Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mowing Winter rye ?

EatSleepHunt

So I had a little extra winter Rye seed last fall. So I decided to overseed my garden to try to add some nutrients to my garden. Wondering if anyone has ever mowed Rye throughout the spring and summer. I am thinking of just clearing spots for tomatoes ,peppers Etc. And letting the Rye take care of the weed control.(no weeds popping up in the rye unlike the few areas of bare soil) Or should I just till it under and go from there. Thanks for any input.

May be wrong but don’t think rye will keep growing back after it’s mowed. That’s rye grass, not winter rye grain.

May be wrong but don’t think rye will keep growing back after it’s mowed. That’s rye grass, not winter rye grain.

That was what I was thinking too ^^, but I wasn't sure if I was remembering that right or not. I do know that if you wait a few more weeks when the rye will shoot up FAST, it can be hard to mow it off as it then gets to be a pretty "tangly" plant for some mowers to handle.

From what I know, mowing cereal Rye early before it matures will just allow it to grow back. I usually mow it short then till it under. Just thought I could get more out of it by leaving it and mowing it a few times. Thanks for your responses.

From what I know, mowing cereal Rye early before it matures will just allow it to grow back. I usually mow it short then till it under. Just thought I could get more out of it by leaving it and mowing it a few times. Thanks for your responses.

Perhaps it is a timing thing then...I normally leave last years rye alone through August and then mow it off when it is essentially straw and then plant brassicas. OR, I till it under about now and plant something else. I just don't think that I have mowed it much at this time of the year when it is still growing actively.

Top Bottom