Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader - Removing Plastic Fouling

R

rrickerson

I've begun shooting T/C 250g ShockWaves with 2 pellets of 777 through my Encore achieving incredible results - sub 1" groups at 100 yards!

These are the first sabots I've shot through this gun and am having a heck of a time removing the plastic fouling from the barrel. I pull the breech plug after each shot and have been using T/C Number 13 Bore cleaner and a lot of scrubbing with a bronze brush.

What tricks of the trade are there that would make removing the plastic easier?

A buddy recommended Shooters Choice (I think that's what it's called) that is specifically made for removing the plastic residue. I also have found that a barrell snake works incredibly well also. The Muzzleloader veterans I am sure will have some additional advice.

The tc no.13 is a mix of water solubale oil and water,be good for powder residue but wont work too hot on plastic.
I dont seem to have any plastic build up with the sst or shockwave.I clean with rubbing alkey and breakfree clp.
If after a shot you run a wet patch down the bore and you can see visible stripes of plastic on the patch your rifling is too sharp.My knight dont show any signs of this,a traditions inline i had once would leave plastic on the patch every shot,the rifling was sharp and cut into the sabot.If this is your case you can do a fix.
it involves a over size bore bush with oil on it.if you over do it it can harm accuracy,if done right no more plastic strips on the patch.

Top Bottom