Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy Gun

I road my pedal bike on gravel for 3 years collecting Iowa's finest Busch lite cans to afford that shat ;)

Pro Hunter will NOT work. It does not have a removable pin. So, you can't take the barrel off. I was in exact scenario. I ended up selling my pro hunter, buying a normal encore, and doing the conversion.

$3,500 is turn key with lots of options. It is built off of the new Remington Ultimate 700. That alone is $700+.

Brake, die, scope base, aftermarket trigger "options" are included. So are quite a few of the accessories that you will want, all included in that price.

Keep in mind you are buying scope and accessories regardless of the build so that piece is a push, even if you already have them.

Is a 700ml superior by a substantial amount? Probably not if limited to 300 yards. The fact that you already have a Pro Hunter makes it hard to not consider but without, that is not a cheap option either.

Along with the used 700ml option, you can consider a 700 centerfire short action build. You can get a brand new 700 action for under $400. Barrel $460, breech plug with modules $200, recoil lug $38, decent stock under $200 or cheap starter stock for even less. Even with a die, scale, top of the line bullets, spin jag, ramrod, etc., and assembled by someone else, you can have it for under $2,000.

Lastly, the used ones are in demand, but they do show up out there.

I road my pedal bike on gravel for 3 years collecting Iowa's finest Busch lite cans to afford that shat ;)

Pro Hunter will NOT work. It does not have a removable pin. So, you can't take the barrel off. I was in exact scenario. I ended up selling my pro hunter, buying a normal encore, and doing the conversion.

Pro Hunter, or Pro Hunter FX? Pretty sure the FX has its limits, but the non FX does not. As a matter of fact, it is an Encore Pro Hunter.

Pro Hunter, or Pro Hunter FX? Pretty sure the FX has its limits, but the non FX does not. As a matter of fact, it is an Encore Pro Hunter.
Exactly you can convert the encore pro hunter. I have a Rem 700 ml conversion that I bought off a member here. I'm thinking about converting my pro hunter for my wife or dad to use. I love the fact that I will hardly ever have to clean it. You can also have them size a box of 50 bullets when you buy it and that will save buying the press and sizing die. And if someone was worried about that aspect of sizing your own bullets they don't need to be.

I have been shooting smokeless for years, since bought a Savage 10 ml-II probably 15 years ago. Now many of guys I hunt or hang with have followed and are shooting the same if that says anything . Great gun, good to 225-250 yards for me(no cloud of smoke, substantially less recoil than blackpowder or subs, and super knockdown). Some folks are able to get more outta them but that's really all I am need for most cases. Though I have talked with Luke about building a longer range capable smokeless, and have gotten a few supplies from him. Seems to be as KNOWLEDGEABLE and REPUTABLE as they come with smokeless builds. Will be having him build me one soon as I get enough cans saved up!;) Talk to him but think you can build on a savage or remington centerfire frame with some bolt work if have access to or may be easier to find than a ML.

all i know is I've had a pro hunter for 10 years now.. Im not a fan, it gets the job done but i would like a smokeless.. just hard to justify for a gun i use to shoot one deer a year with

all i know is I've had a pro hunter for 10 years now.. Im not a fan, it gets the job done but i would like a smokeless.. just hard to justify for a gun i use to shoot one deer a year with
Ha ha. I was kinda saying this to a couple buddies this weekend.....
I'm always looking at "fancy guns" whatever they are. I got my slug gun dialed in to maybe 200 yards - Benelli, SBE II with rifled barrel and Leupold VX-III scope, blah blah blah. Had a .300 Remington Ultra mag with ballistic tips for KS rifle hunting way back (EASILY I felt comfy to 500 yards, no problem).... 2 shots out of that gun under 100 yards. Have nice ML's - WHATEVER...... End of the day, year after year.... I kill almost every single buck at 15 yards with my bow. Then, I go out and doe hunt & management buck hunt with guns..... 50 yard shots are the norm. Maybe 100. And, even to this day "well heck, I want a ML that can shoot to 300!!!!!". And, I'll probably eventually get one. Will I shoot one at 300? Ha, probably not. Will I spend a lot on this gun and shoot a buck at 30 yards with it??? MOST LIKELY :) So ironic and funny!
TO DATE... 14 years old started hunting to 39 now, I've shot maybe 7-8 bucks with guns. Every other, bow. of the gun shots.... I think maybe I shot a couple at 125 yards, that's the longest. Shortest.... 10 yards. ;)
With all that said, I'm still listening and I'm gonna getting me a smokeless!!! :)

Ha ha. I was kinda saying this to a couple buddies this weekend.....
I'm always looking at "fancy guns" whatever they are. I got my slug gun dialed in to maybe 200 yards - Benelli, SBE II with rifled barrel and Leupold VX-III scope, blah blah blah. Had a .300 Remington Ultra mag with ballistic tips for KS rifle hunting way back (EASILY I felt comfy to 500 yards, no problem).... 2 shots out of that gun under 100 yards. Have nice ML's - WHATEVER...... End of the day, year after year.... I kill almost every single buck at 15 yards with my bow. Then, I go out and doe hunt & management buck hunt with guns..... 50 yard shots are the norm. Maybe 100. And, even to this day "well heck, I want a ML that can shoot to 300!!!!!". And, I'll probably eventually get one. Will I shoot one at 300? Ha, probably not. Will I spend a lot on this gun and shoot a buck at 30 yards with it??? MOST LIKELY :) So ironic and funny!
TO DATE... 14 years old started hunting to 39 now, I've shot maybe 7-8 bucks with guns. Every other, bow. of the gun shots.... I think maybe I shot a couple at 125 yards, that's the longest. Shortest.... 10 yards. ;)
With all that said, I'm still listening and I'm gonna getting me a smokeless!!! :)

I do agree with asking "why" do I need that much gun? Compare it to your bow. Most of my stands are set up for shot under 20 yards. Most of my bow kills are deer that were under 20 yards. But, I shot a couple at over 20 yards. A bow kill at 40 yards is almost the same as comparing a gun opportunity at 400 yards. We put countless hours in for that one "moment" to present itself. I still think of a post on this site a couple years ago of someone who had a giant at 225 yards and couldn't take the shot because it was too far. Good call for him and his comfort level of his gun. Most smokeless folks have their zero at 200-225 yards and would have called that an ethical shot. Like you, most smokeless shooters still get most of their shots at "normal" gun distances.

Something I think about with a gun that can reach a bit further is how you might set up a new spot. Maybe a better entrance is 75 yards further back. Or maybe you can set blind on next hill back. Or maybe you can add another food source on next ridge over cuz it's now comfy shooting. Just opens up a few more options I think.

Also a comfy thing knowing you have a tack driver regardless if they are close.

Isn't it all irrelevant when iowa is a rifle only season in a few years? I kid...i kid

Had a customer buy a stock Remington 700 MZ from me this weekend - reported back one hole groups at 150 yards and 2.5" group at 400 yds!
No custom bullets or load - he used 3 of the 777 pellets and the bullets that came with the rifle - Amazing Accuracy for a factory gun!

Had a customer buy a stock Remington 700 MZ from me this weekend - reported back one hole groups at 150 yards and 2.5" group at 400 yds!
No custom bullets or load - he used 3 of the 777 pellets and the bullets that came with the rifle - Amazing Accuracy for a factory gun!
Is he sure his rangefinder was working? Jk sort of:)

I like ballistic calculators. They're a lot of fun to play with. As an example of what the trajectory and power from a smokeless can be.. One of my friends, shoots a 300 grain Parker Match Hunter at 2750 FPS, which is just insane. Here is a ballistics chart for that bullet, zeroed at 200 yards. Rule of thumb for whitetail is 1000 FT-LB of energy which in this case makes you lethal out to nearly 900 yards! Shoot, at 400 yards, it's finally going about the same speed that I push my 290 grain Barnes out of the muzzle of my Accura V2!

Ballistic Calculators - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc.jpg

So- From a very basic point of view.... how the heck can u get those ballistics above but the 300 yard smokeless TC for example can’t do that? Is it basically because those high end guns can handle a lot more powder and pressure??

So- From a very basic point of view.... how the heck can u get those ballistics above but the 300 yard smokeless TC for example can’t do that? Is it basically because those high end guns can handle a lot more powder and pressure??

The data I provided is coming from the smokeless BOLT guns. In short, yes, for whatever reason, they are able to handle higher pressures. I would assume it's related to the breech side and not the barrel itself, but I don't know for sure. I follow arrowhead sporting goods on facebook and he posts quite a few pictures of groups that he shoots from his guns. This is an example of what he posted a week or so ago... 310 grain bullet going 2800 fps! Nothing but a ragged hole.

23795549_1534408326684970_3227824116342097773_n.jpg

Top Bottom