Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My best year ever

Boonervilleusa

I haven't posted much on here this year. Just been super busy. But 2017 has been my best season ever in the woods.
On October 1st, I took my wife with me to a blind over an alfalfa field where I had spent a good deal of time last year hunting a particular buck. This year I moved the blind 200 yds to the opposite side. We saw over 50 deer on opening night, and I shot the buck I was after at 45 yds. I believe he is a minimum of 7.5 years old.
I didn't really start hunting hard again until October 28th. The action really picked up on my home farm on November 6th. On November 8th I was hunting a creek bottom peninsula of woods surrounded by CRP to the West, Alfalfa to the East, and a radish/oat food plot leading into cut corn to the North. I shot a wide 4.5 year old buck at 3:15 pm cruising by himself.
After that a didn't hunt at all until 2nd gun season, when I took my wife out a few times. We had some close calls but could not get it done. So I took my muzzleloader out on 12/20 for the first time. I was hunting a cattle pasture that deer funnel through and use to stage as they come out of the neighbors thick thermal cover heading to the crops across the road. The very first deer to show up was an ancient old buck. he was cruising like it was early November; I believe looking for doe fawns. Smoked him at 100 yds.

Crazy good year!! Congrats!
Did you get good footage with the Tactacam? I didn’t think to turn mine on again this year.
Well 2 out of 3. The last one I had it turned on...I thought, but must not have pushed the button hard enough.

Wow!! I’d say!!! Well done! Getting those results usually require hard work and smart hunting (with a little luck too). So- props on all u put in and making the shots count. Well done, what a year!

NICE! Mine best 3 buck season was 2016-17. I went into this year with the goal to at least see one 170, or better, class buck. I didn't see one, but I did harvest 3 nice mature bucks again. Only one scored better than any of the 3 from the previous season, but I'm still stoked about how the season turned out!!! Congrats!

Top Bottom