Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Boy's 1st Iowa Turkey

Gundog

PMA Member
Well the boy got it done this morning. This tom and 8 hens flew down into the opposite meadow we were set up in and were about 100 yards away from us. Had a hen land in our decoys but she eventually went the other way. I knew he wouldn't come our way with his hens over there. We decided we would do the fan on a stick routine and began to crawl towards him through a grassy finger with the fan up in front of us. We didn't crawl but 50 feet when a hen saw us and began yelping softly and working toward us. He didn't like that too much and covered about 75 yards in a minute or so all puffed up and walking sideways. This gave Landon enough time to get the gun up beside me. I told him to let him clear the last tree and then kill him. Once he cleared, he whispered can I shoot him, I said yeah and it was over.

This was his first Iowa bird, first spring bird and first bird with a 20 gauge. All four of his Nebraska birds have been killed with a .410. He handled it perfectly. I couldn't be more proud of him.

Oh yeah, the Tom had a 10 3/8" beard, one spur was 1 1/4", the other was 7/8" but was broken and he weighed in at 22 lbs. 4 oz.

Attachments

• Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 034.jpg
    Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 034.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 040.jpg
    Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 040.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 038.jpg
    Landon's Turkeys 4-20-14 038.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 77
Congrats too you and your son Brady! Way to get it done during baseball season. I know how hard it is to find time to get out this time of year.

Awesome bird Landon! Congrats to both of you! That smile says it all, and you'll both remember this one for a long time :way:

Top Bottom