Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New muzzle loader

Buckdown89

Just purchased my first muzzle loader. Acura V2. I'm curious what everyone recommends for a scope. I'm new to muzzleloading so any help is appreciated! What other recommendations??

We have one of the Scheels Paragon Hunter 4x12 model on one of ours and a Vortex on the other. I still prefer the Scheels scope. As for the other recommend I'll say Blackhorn 209 and Barnes TMZ in 250 or 290 grain. That is what our V2's love.

Leopold ultimateslam 3x9x40. Messed around with a few till that one. Reticles are dead nuts once you determine right setting based on load.

All good info above. All I can add is, do not put good money into a gun & cut corners on the glass you put on it. Buy the best quality scope you can possibly afford & you won't be sorry.

Is blackhorn 209 that much more accurate than triple 7 pellets or why is it praised so much ? Loose powder seems like a hassle .

Is blackhorn 209 that much more accurate than triple 7 pellets or why is it praised so much ? Loose powder seems like a hassle .

The powder itself isn't more accurate but the fact that you can fine tune it since it is loose gives you the chance to find a more accurate load... but the real advantage of BH209 is that it's SOOO much cleaner and not as corrosive. If you shoot pellets you'll have that crud ring after each shot and it will be ridiculously harder to load and you might not even be able to fully seat the bullet without brushing/swabbing between shots. I can shoot all day with BH209 and never need to clean the barrel without any loss of accuracy or any more trouble loading . Also it doesn't draw moisture like the pellets do and it will keep longer. I just shot a muzzy that had been left dirty and loaded since last January a few days ago and it was dead nuts on and there was zero corrosion in the barrel, definitely can't do that with 777 or pyrodex.
It really isn't any more of a hassle either... I pre-measure a bunch of loads so they're ready to go and carry a tiny funnel for quick non-spill loading.

The powder itself isn't more accurate but the fact that you can fine tune it since it is loose gives you the chance to find a more accurate load... but the real advantage of BH209 is that it's SOOO much cleaner and not as corrosive. If you shoot pellets you'll have that crud ring after each shot and it will be ridiculously harder to load and you might not even be able to fully seat the bullet without brushing/swabbing between shots. I can shoot all day with BH209 and never need to clean the barrel without any loss of accuracy or any more trouble loading . Also it doesn't draw moisture like the pellets do and it will keep longer. I just shot a muzzy that had been left dirty and loaded since last January a few days ago and it was dead nuts on and there was zero corrosion in the barrel, definitely can't do that with 777 or pyrodex. It really isn't any more of a hassle either... I pre-measure a bunch of loads so they're ready to go and carry a tiny funnel for quick non-spill loading.

Thanks . I'm a noob as well at this just so many people tell me pellets are the way to go and wanted to hear another opinion.

Last edited:
We have one of the Scheels Paragon Hunter 4x12 model on one of ours and a Vortex on the other. I still prefer the Scheels scope. As for the other recommend I'll say Blackhorn 209 and Barnes TMZ in 250 or 290 grain. That is what our V2's love.
maybe another dumb question but I want to do this right the first time, what primer do you use and the way it sounds i need to replace the breech plug for shooting blackhorn 209? Thanks in advance!

maybe another dumb question but I want to do this right the first time, what primer do you use and the way it sounds i need to replace the breech plug for shooting blackhorn 209? Thanks in advance!

Yes, you need a new breech plug for the Blackhorn 209. They're easy to find online for that gun. I also shoot a Accura V2 and ended up going with Winchester shotshell primers. I started with CCI magnum primers, but was getting a lot of blowback from the breech. The Winchester primers are slightly longer and seal that breech up without having to use a shim kit.

Yes, you need a new breech plug for the Blackhorn 209. They're easy to find online for that gun. I also shoot a Accura V2 and ended up going with Winchester shotshell primers. I started with CCI magnum primers, but was getting a lot of blowback from the breech. The Winchester primers are slightly longer and seal that breech up without having to use a shim kit.
awesome I appreciate the response!

Ended up topping my Accura V2 with a Nikon inline XR BDC...planning to shoot blackhorn 209, I ordered the breech plug, and Barnes bullets, another question, what do I need for cleaning supplies?? And is there anything else you would recommend other than what is listed above? Thanks in advance!

I shoot winchester or cci magnums. Whichever I can get when I need some. As far as cleaning supplies I have a small tote dedicated for it that is full of solvents, patches, a .50 caliber brush and other miscellaneous stuff. Right or wrong I use the barrel blaster foam stuff to clean it.

Hoppes #9 solvent is all I use. DON'T use water to clean. BH209 is oil based and water will just make a mess. Typical gun cleaning kit should have everything you need. Rod, brush, eyelets for patches. Also get some breech plug anti seize. Make sure the ramrod has a concave end large enough to push the bullet without damaging the plastic tip.

Other odds and ends. Powder flask, measuring tube, speed loaders.

Hoppes #9 solvent is all I use. DON'T use water to clean. BH209 is oil based and water will just make a mess. Typical gun cleaning kit should have everything you need. Rod, brush, eyelets for patches. Also get some breech plug anti seize. Make sure the ramrod has a concave end large enough to push the bullet without damaging the plastic tip.

Other odds and ends. Powder flask, measuring tube, speed loaders.
The flask and tube are essential for measuring charges and speed loads are very important. Don't know how I forgot those. And if ya find speed loads on sale I'd buy an extra set. I know I have misplaced a few during season or in the excitement of trying to reload quickly after a shot during a hunt.

One thing I have learned is that the blackhorn measure tubes are very inaccurate. Like many others, I weigh charges of blackhorn. I use the measuring tubes just to hold the powder.I don't have the chart in front of me ,but I believe 84 grains by weight is a "full charge". A reloading scale works great. My Accura likes 80 gr. by weight of blackhorn, Barnes 250 grain TEZ. Absolute tack driver.

Can't remember the brand of speed loader, but it has 2 separate compartments, 1 for the powder and 1 for the bullet which is nice because it's all there including the primer and I don't have to find the bullet/sabot and primer in my pocket. Quick tip if using BH, run a dry patch down the barrel before using the solvent because it will remove most of the black fouling and take less wet patches to clean the barrel. I would start with 90 to 95 gr by volume and work your way up by increments of 5 gr to find the load your gun likes. Don't worry so much about hitting the bulls eye at 1st, you're looking for a tight 3 shot group to begin with. As you increase the load the groups may start to open up, that's the sign you need to go back to where the 3 shot groups are the best.

One thing I have learned is that the blackhorn measure tubes are very inaccurate. Like many others, I weigh charges of blackhorn. I use the measuring tubes just to hold the powder.I don't have the chart in front of me ,but I believe 84 grains by weight is a "full charge". A reloading scale works great. My Accura likes 80 gr. by weight of blackhorn, Barnes 250 grain TEZ. Absolute tack driver.

Ha dang it , I just bought 6 of them tubes . Any other methods of accurate measure other than a scale ?

Top Bottom