Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New muzzleloaders, project almost done...

150 Class

Thanks to two Iowawhitetail members, this all started here with a "wanted add" and with their Remington 700 muzzleloaders which I purchased from them. Thanks too that they were taken care of and in very good condition. They are now sporting new smokeless capable 45 cal barrels and different stocks to fit to the contour of the new barrels. They were both born and put together this summer.

The camo stock is a 45 cal stainless PacNor Sendero barrel done in Black Ice sitting on a factory Remington Stock.

The thumbhole is a 45 cal stainless PacNor #7 barrel pillar bedded Boyd's stock.

I am probably a couple weeks away from sharing range reports, which I will when I can get out, but I thought I would share what I have so far. I am starting shooting saboted bullets trying both Barnes and SSTs in 195 grain and 200 grain. The guns will probably be pushing them @ 2,700 FPS with the loads I will be using. I might try sabotless next year but do not have the time to do that this year.

Before and after pictures. Yes they were and are muzzleloaders, and no, they are not centerfire rifles.

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

Travel, bow season and other commitments have kept me from an update and also from getting both guns ready.

The camo one is good to go. It started as a blued 50 cal 700ML with camo stock from pandy175. Brad took care of this gun so it was in excellent condition. Off came the barrel and on went a new 45 cal PacNor barrel. The barrel and action were done in Black Ice and the stock was replaced with a factory take off from a center fire rifle to handle the larger barrel contour. It was a drop in fit.

As already mentioned, I am using Barnes 195 grain saboted bullets. I have not officially chroned the speed but based on what others are seeing with the combination I am using, it is probably doing about 2,600 FPS at the muzzle. The gun can handle more but word on the street is the sabots cannot. Accuracy is incredible and while this bullet does not have a great BC, it has little drop out to 200 yards and I would trust it out a further than that. Sorry, no shot grouping photos so you'll have to take my word that when I do my part, under 2" groups at 200 yards is what it is doing.

Next is to try the other gun going sabotless. It has a heavier barrel and stock so that will help with the recoil (which will be significant). Other than the recoil, pushing a 275 grain bullet with an excellent BC to 2,700 FPS, or more, and one hole accuracy, must be tried. Sizing and knurling the bullets will be a fun new part of this project too. More to come later!

Awesome looking ML's.

You post that they have a .45 barrel shooting saboted bullets. What is the caliber of the bullet?

So where does the ram rod go? Are those new stocks set up for one?

Good question! With the center fire take off stock and Boyd's stock, there is no ramrod channel. Rather then cut one in, I am using a 3 piece ramrod that fits in my accessory pack along with the spare bullets, powder, etc.

You post that they have a .45 barrel shooting saboted bullets. What is the caliber of the bullet?

195 gr Barnes Expander or 200 gr SST, both 40 cal, and I am using 45/40 Harvester Smooth Light Blue sabots. There are plenty of other options for bullets and a few more for the sabots too.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of ball park I'm I looking at to get a PacNor barrel?

$423 for a PacNor, $303 for a McGowen. Fluted barrels are available too. These all are 45 cal barrels.

You'll also need the Hunter bolt nose conversion, Savage breech plug and a new recoil lug. Most people replace their stocks (readily available... I have 3 in my closet) and get a 3 piece ramrod rather than have it attached to the gun, but you can grind out the barrel channel of your ML stock to fit the heavy barrel if you would like. I would recommend a new firing pin spring for a few dollars when doing the Hunter bolt nose conversion. Cost for the barrel install and bolt nose conversion is $83 (not me) or you can do that yourself if you have the tools.

Can this type conversion be done with my .45 Knight Disc rifle or will I have to steal my Rem 700 ML back from my wife to have it done. That could be an ugly battle as she has done well with it and may veto the idea... <label for="rb_iconid_13">
icon13.gif
</label>

Nope, does not work with the Knights. I think it can with Ruger 77, Encores and several others, but not the Knights (unless maybe with the KP1?). The Savage MLII can easily be converted with just a barrel swap needed, and several of the Savage and Stevens short action center fire rifles can be converted to smokeless muzzleloaders too.

Top Bottom