Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Pond Stocking- Add Minnows???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Put in some tiny bluegill and catfish yesterday. Should I put in any shiner minnows this fall? I am putting bass in during spring time. If put minnows in- do it now or in spring?

*I have heard if you put minnows in after fish are big- they'll eat every one of them.
**Heard to NOT put in Shad. Hopefully there's not a huge concern with minnows.

THOUGHTS?!??!?!?! Thanks!!!!

Shiners and fatheads early to make sure they get a foothold before the predators get large enough to eat them.

Also, make sure you go through the minnows very carefully! You can get a gallon of minnows and find that here are quite a few baby bullheads and other undesireables mixed in. You can't go through them too carefully.

I would put in fatheads this Fall and then again next Spring. Fatheads reproduce 4-5 times a year and are great forage. They are slow swimmers and will usually only grow to about 3". I would make sure you have plenty of structure in the pond to allow some of fatheads to survive. I would also restock fatheads every year or every other year in the Spring if you want to maximize your fish growth and populations, but you'll have to manage your pond intensly. If your not going to manage your pond intensly then I would just stock them now and in the Spring and then allow your three species to balance themselves from then on.

What kind of a pond are you going for? It makes a difference knowing your plan as to offer suggestions.

Here's what I did at my dad's pond, all hands on and no scientific work at all...except for knowing that fish eat other fish.

My dads pond sat idle, after construction, for 3 years. In the fourth year during the summer, in a selfish move to secure some unknown ice-fishing hot spot a buddy and myself stocked (from a neighboring pond that is severely stunted) 7 large mouth bass (around 12 inches), ten hand sized bluegills, and 12 8-10inch white crappies. A year or so later I dumped in five 1-2lbs channel cats from the river that i didn't want to keep.

Ten years later, the bass have thrived, the blue-gills and crappies are gone and the catfish that remain are over 10lbs. The bass are complete cannibals and a person would be hard pressed to tell me my dad's pond doesn't explain darwinism to a T. The frogs usually try their luck in the spring, and acutally did quite well this year due to the flood. Usually they are consumed quite quickly.

One summer I would catch very small green sunnies (thumb sized) and ended up putting around 50 or so of them in there every two weeks or so. I knew they wouldn't last long and felt obligated to feed the bass.

End of August to September is an awesome time to catch loads of large bass. i haven't tried for a few years, but I'm waiting so that when i do...I'll nab two or three 10lbs plus.

I'd be curious to find out if the greenies survived. Of any fish in Iowa a green sunfish is the one I'd NEVER put in my pond as they are prolific breeders and can stunt out very quickly. They also hammer the aquatic zooplankton which, in turn, makes it difficult for smaller game fish to survive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be curious to find out if the greenies survived. Of any fish in Iowa a green sunfish is the one I'd NEVER put in my pond as they are prolific breeders and can stunt out very quickly. They also hammer the aquatic zooplankton which, in turn, makes it difficult for smaller game fish to survive. </div></div>

Nerd

I have a smaller pond BUT pretty deep. I just want big bass. It's about an 1 & 1/2 acre in size and 20' deep.

Bluegill & catfish fry are in there now as of 1 week ago. Bass are coming in spring. Would like all 3 fish to OBVIOUSLY get as big as possible.

MUDDY, no way did any of the green sunnies survive. No structure in that pond and tons of cannibalistic bass. The green sunnies were "walking the green mile" before i dumped them in.

I won't do it again, not due to the green sunnies, but due to transferring water from that pond to mine/my dad's.

SLIGH...forgo all the $$$ and time it will take for the fry to grow to 10lbs. GO to a local pond or lake and catch some 10-15inchers (or whatever is legal) and transfer them to your pond. We used a bubbler pump and a large garbage can.

BASS won't need much in the way of food if you get males and females. They'll eat their young when they get hungry enough and I'm sure some frogs will make the same mistake they have at my dad's pond.

In 5 years you could be catching 5(+)lbers or you could be catching 10 inchers.

Top Bottom