Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NICS Appeal

nontyp

Has anyone here ever been denied when purchasing a firearm? I was denied due to story county putting someone else's restraining order in my name. So I filed an appeal, had the record fixed, and had story county send a copy of the fixed record to the FBI. It has now been 5 months and I still can't buy a gun. Very frustrating. Just curious if anyone else has been through this and how long it takes.

If you get your Permit to Acquire or Carry Permit from your local sheriffs office you can use that in lieu of running a NICS check.

Sheriff is gonna run a NCIC check as well. His name will pop up the same, however, Sheriff may be able to compare dates of birth, SSN, etc to determine you're not the same guy.

I have considered private sale. I just feel like Im being forced to that by the system. I have been told that until I have that appeal letter in hand I cannot legally buy a gun. It's not anything that can be done at the local level, the fbi has to approve the appeal. They also don't allow you to contact them for a status update. You just have to wait for it to show up in your mailbox.

nontyp, just a thought. You might want to contact your local ATF Compliance office. Not law enforcement office, compliance office. They may be able to help you. The NCIC system is maintained by the FBI but ATF works closely as you are executing ATF Form 4473 to buy your gun. Give them a call it may help.

Top Bottom