Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

If nonresidents were guaranteed buck tags you would absolutely see a rush to buy up hunting land in Iowa. There is no question about it. Ask any realtor here and they will tell you the same thing. If you dont think there is enough wealth out there to make this happen you are out of touch with reality. It is not just the bowhunters that feel this way. Our farmers are already feeling the pinch because of land taken out of production for pasture etc. by nonresidents that want it to grow up into brush. Also, many farmers are suffering crop damage because their neighbor landowners dont harvest enough does. A problem that will compound with more nonresident landownership. Face it, you can not improve on what we have got. Move on.

Property tax not including home and acreage is ~$1800. That tax is going to be paid no matter who owns it so my stance is that ownership and tax payment doesn't "buy" a NR any special treatment when it comes to tags. I'm moving out of state, it is a choice and I had to weigh everything in the decision just as NR buying land in Iowa should have considered everything when they bought. No reason to now cry foul.
If/when the law changes, I'll probably make a lot of money and sell some land. I'll also then qualify for "special treatment". Even with that- I think it would be a mistake for the state to change the current system.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I have said before, don't mess with success.

I am perfectly content to hunt Iowa every once every 2-3 years as long as the quality stays the same. If or when I buy property in Iowa I will be aware that I am still not guaranteed a tag, I am fine with that.

If Iowa allows every NR land owner a tag, then I will be first in line to buy my 1 acre.

Don't mess with success

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said MD!!

[ QUOTE ]
150class,
Does that include your house?
How much just for the bare land?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just the land. My residence is not on the farm so I get to pay additional property tax for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Don’t Mesh With Success

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many challenges in the near future for the resident hunter in Iowa. The only way we can meet these challenges is to join and support the Iowa Bowhunters Association.

Join and support the IBA……Join Now

Thank You!
grin.gif

It should be fixed now?????
shrug[1].gif

Your link takes you where every bowhunter (no every deer hunter) in the state should go. It works just fine.
grin.gif

Yep.... beating a dead horse.....
Couple of thoughts...I am a nonresident landowner and I see both side and I'm not sure if I would like it changed. Every year a different kid/kids or parent hunt the property. This year I'm lucky enough to sit with my daughter for 1st shoutgun season. Can't wait!!!!It seems that depending which side of the fence your on, you find support for it....I do have some input and question....First, when someone uses Illinois as an exapmle of what not to be like... I assume that they are speaking of the so call "golden triangle". I hunt east/southeast Illinois where I have had ALOT of doors open for hunting,through friends and nocking on doors. Had some great hunts and is very similar to the Iowa I know, both in hospitality and deer...Must be different in WC Illinos???
The nonresident landowner doe tag...I hope I've been missing something, but 150 dollars for one doe permit. Alot of money and only one. If this is true, then I question the logic that nonresidents will only shoot a huge buck and the population will get out of whack. What else can I do with one $150 doe tag???
Lastly, every Iowa resident that land I've hunted on or friends that don't hunt wished my family was there every year, for both the company and to get as many of those deer as we can. Something not support here though I guess....
I really do wonder how many resident of Iowa are against nonresident landowner getting an any sex permit...
Oh, IF, not when, a nonresident landowner can get a any sex tag, it should start at something like 40-60 acres like Illinois, not one of two arces for a tag........
Just some thoughts....and I'll be in the line for one of those tags if the day ever comes.....

[ QUOTE ]
I hear this all the time from Illinois hunters!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All you residents of Iowa should feel privledged that you have a DNR that has a clue, unlike Illinois, I would hate to see the same thing happen to you guys in Iowa that has happened to the residents of Illinois like myself. Stay on your legislators rear ends and let them know there is absolutely no need to up the non-resident permits, fight till the end because if you give an inch, the same thing will happen to you!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just heard it from another one again. The worst of it isn't the nonres landowners. The number of tags allowed fuels the outfitters and the nonresident leases. I believe 5 years ago we had about 8,000 nonres archery tags available. Now the supply is virtually unlimited. They did not move all 20,000 tags in the drawing last year so the state kept pushing them on the DNR web site. One 200 arcre farm next to where a buddy and I hunt leases to 4 guys from NY for $4,000 (2005 price). Excuse my vent.

5068Dead_Horse.JPG

[ QUOTE ]

The nonresident landowner doe tag...I hope I've been missing something, but 150 dollars for one doe permit. Alot of money and only one. If this is true, then I question the logic that nonresidents will only shoot a huge buck and the population will get out of whack. What else can I do with one $150 doe tag???
Lastly, every Iowa resident that land I've hunted on or friends that don't hunt wished my family was there every year, for both the company and to get as many of those deer as we can. Something not support here though I guess....
I really do wonder how many resident of Iowa are against nonresident landowner getting an any sex permit...
Oh, IF, not when, a nonresident landowner can get a any sex tag, it should start at something like 40-60 acres like Illinois, not one of two arces for a tag........
Just some thoughts....and I'll be in the line for one of those tags if the day ever comes.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, someone brings up a great point: $150 doe tags? I think thats a little steep, makes it a little expensive to try and get your numbers down, thats why we dont buy more doe tags and instead rely on residents that hunt with us to get doe tags. But maybe the DNR is banking on the fact that a few NR's are buying them to party hunt?

and again..is this whole NR issue an opinion of the people of iowa or the IBA? i have yet to meet an iowa resident(besides ones from this site) that has a bad thing to say about NR's hunting in iowa/problems with allowing more NR's

Wow. I didn't think a dead horse could get any more dead.

Please note: I have met many people that have issues with allowing more NR tags and are saddened by the amount of land that has been bought up and leased.
These people are not all hunters and are not associated with this site or the IBA at all.
This is not something that JUST the IBA thinks strongly about.

I guess the horse still has a faint heart beat….

Please note: I have met many people that have issues with allowing more NR tags and are saddened by the amount of land that has been bought up and leased.
These people are not all hunters and are not associated with this site or the IBA at all.

Why are they saddened? Although it’s just an opinion, I would think that Iowa resident would be happier. My guess is most nonresident that buy land in Iowa are stewards of the land for wildlife habitat. Not just deer and turkey but also the non game animal that benefit from the food plots, timber management, etc. With the possibility of ethanol increasing, it could go back to farming ever inch on a farm, limiting habitat. How many non residents are farming? I don’t know, but I bet alot more are creating great wildlife habitat with their purchased land in the wake of possibly ethanol storm?? The farm I hunted many years is slowly going back to cash crop, why..more money in his pocket.Hunters, I can see their point. The farm that they knocked on a door or friend let them hunt is now gone. Both situations an Iowa resident made a choice for money…most of us Americans have choice in life, thanks to many brave men. Is it the new truck, new house, vacations or hunting land??
Me it’s a 97 blazer and land……
Is there a palce where the IBA and non resident landowners work together for the betterment of Iowa wildlife???

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the horse still has a faint heart beat….

Why are they saddened? Although it’s just an opinion, I would think that Iowa resident would be happier. My guess is most nonresident that buy land in Iowa are stewards of the land for wildlife habitat. Not just deer and turkey but also the non game animal that benefit from the food plots, timber management, etc. With the possibility of ethanol increasing, it could go back to farming ever inch on a farm, limiting habitat. How many non residents are farming? I don’t know, but I bet alot more are creating great wildlife habitat with their purchased land in the wake of possibly ethanol storm?? The farm I hunted many years is slowly going back to cash crop, why..more money in his pocket.Hunters, I can see their point. The farm that they knocked on a door or friend let them hunt is now gone. Both situations an Iowa resident made a choice for money…most of us Americans have choice in life, thanks to many brave men. Is it the new truck, new house, vacations or hunting land??
Me it’s a 97 blazer and land……
Is there a palce where the IBA and non resident landowners work together for the betterment of Iowa wildlife???

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the concern from most residents regaurding non-resident land ownership is the fact that leased or out-of-state owned property usually becomes unavailable to the residents of the state that have hunted it in the years past.

I feel that a nonresident landowner that actually owns enough land to hold deer on, loses crops to deer, and pays taxes should have more preference points than a regular non resident. They should also get doe tags cheaper than $150. I also feel that the price of non resident tags is WAY OUT OF LINE. The state has made it a rich mans game to come here and hunt. Ten years ago my MN buddy could come and hunt for $100. Then this kid kills a world record deer(the Albia buck) and overnight the state rapes a non resident. These other states penalize me if I want to go to their state and hunt with the reciprocancy license fee. What kind of rewards are Iowans reaping from raping the nonresident with a $500 fee to deer hunt here? I haven't seen any great public land purchases bought with the $500 nonresident fee. If they are, how about publishing a report on how this nonresident deer tag fee is helping IA deer hunters. Larger pay scales, new, fancier DNR trucks, and more DNR employees isn't benefitting the IA deer hunter. Tell me guys, where is all of this revenue going that a $100 nonresident tag fee wasn't covering? Us guys that like to go out of state get raped right back because you pay whatever the fee for a nonresident pays in your state. It sucks. Keep the same limit of non-resident tags like we have been, make it easier for a landowner nonresident than a non-landowner non resident to get a tag, and lower the price of nonresident doe and any sex tags. BTW, most non residents that own land in IA are investors and don't hunt any way. I have tons of farmer buddies and this is what they tell me. An investor buys ground strictly as in investment. They are not buying it up so that they can deer hunt. These investors are in for making money and most could care less about hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that a nonresident landowner that actually owns enough land to hold deer on, loses crops to deer, and pays taxes should have more preference points than a regular non resident. They should also get doe tags cheaper than $150. I also feel that the price of non resident tags is WAY OUT OF LINE. The state has made it a rich mans game to come here and hunt. Ten years ago my MN buddy could come and hunt for $100. Then this kid kills a world record deer(the Albia buck) and overnight the state rapes a non resident. These other states penalize me if I want to go to their state and hunt with the reciprocancy license fee. What kind of rewards are Iowans reaping from raping the nonresident with a $500 fee to deer hunt here? I haven't seen any great public land purchases bought with the $500 nonresident fee. If they are, how about publishing a report on how this nonresident deer tag fee is helping IA deer hunters. Larger pay scales, new, fancier DNR trucks, and more DNR employees isn't benefitting the IA deer hunter. Tell me guys, where is all of this revenue going that a $100 nonresident tag fee wasn't covering? Us guys that like to go out of state get raped right back because you pay whatever the fee for a nonresident pays in your state. It sucks. Keep the same limit of non-resident tags like we have been, make it easier for a landowner nonresident than a non-landowner non resident to get a tag, and lower the price of nonresident doe and any sex tags. BTW, most non residents that own land in IA are investors and don't hunt any way. I have tons of farmer buddies and this is what they tell me. An investor buys ground strictly as in investment. They are not buying it up so that they can deer hunt. These investors are in for making money and most could care less about hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your last statement at all. Like you said in your last sentence, they're investors, and investors see a dollar value in whatever they're involved in, especially when it comes to leasing hunting rights. I have yet to hear of an out-of-state investor/owner that doesn't either hunt the property, allow his business partners to hunt the property, or lease it out for monetary gains. What they're doing is totally leagal, and from an investment standpoint is probably a good idea, but let's not sugar coat anything here. Investors don't buy property to allow resident hunters on it when they can make X amount of dollars per acre to lease it.

Most of the investors buy the land and rent it out to farmers. The renting farmer has the say on who hunts. At least this is what my farmer clients tell me. This out of state ownership of IA farms hurts the local farmer wanting to buy land but not a resident hunter. These investors aren't hunting, they buy it, rent it to the highest bidding farmer, and make $$. The farmer has the say on who hunts generally. These investors in my area are just that, out to make money on land as land is a good investment. Nothing more. I live in Central IA and that is the case here anyway. Other parts of the state may be different. I have a buddy that owns a bunch of land near Grand River IA. He says that the only people that are unwanted down there is the Drurys. They sent him and some neighbors letters wanting to buy their land. My friend and the neighbors say no way and they are not popular fellas down there.

I guess our idea of "investments" different. Most of the ground I see being purchased for invesment purposes is mainly timbered/CRP ground with smaller amounts of tillable ground. All tillable ground, especially good tillable ground, isn't going to make you as much money from a investment standpoint.........it's already high priced, and thus less attractive to outside investors.

What you are speaking about is not happening in my central IA area. I have alot of farmer friends and clients and there are no investors buying timber to lease out for hunting. The timbers around here that come up for sale go to investors,(mostly resident investors) that buy it up, run Xenia water into it, and sell one acre lots for $60,000. No way leasing timber for hunting can compete with that. Others are buying the timber up to build a home on. No out of state buyers of timber around here leasing out hunting ground. Way too much $$ in developing it and selling lots. Sad but true where I live.
Two things that ruined the price and chance of a regular guy wanting to be able to afford his own hunting ground in IA:
1. The Albia Buck(put IA in the spotlight)
2. Xenia/Rural water(took away the biggest disadvantage/expense to living in the country; a well and worrying about safe and good supply of water)

Top Bottom