Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

no tag for non-resident land owner

You should have bought in Missouri. Then both of you could have hunted the last two years. You knew the rules when you bought your Iowa land. Sorry, no love here. You could always sell your land in Iowa and replace it with some of that fine Missouri monster buck and trophy turkey land. You may want to consider it.
grin.gif

We have planted 3,000 trees so I am kind of in a little deep. When I bought the land it was looking like I would draw everyother year. Now it is three years. The thing that I do like about Missouri is the licence fee. If it is still the same as in the past. You pay what your State charges. The thing that makes me pick Iowa is the late gun season. Missouri is too early. It seams like the Iowa DNR thinks that keeping non residents out helps the deer herd. What helps the deer herd is the late gun season.

[ QUOTE ]
i just bougth a HUGE parcel in BOTH states !!! Love the Missouri one better though !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you already. Just don't let out that there are big bucks in Missouri, and you'll always have them.

This topic always gets a great response. Luckily, I am a resident of Iowa and don't have this problem. But, as a resident I am very glad the DNR imposes the RIGHT to limit tag numbers. I live and hunt in Southern Iowa and know how much land is being bought up by out of staters. Some of which I've had the opportunity to hunt in the past. If the DNR didn't limit the tag numbers then I would have a very tough time finding good hunting land. Yes you pay your taxes but so do I and I live here. You made the choice to purchase the land in which you don't live. Either you should have checked out the laws before you followed through OR you really don't have a reason to be complaining. If the laws helped you out more than me...then I would be posting a very similar post.

For you out of staters.....I assume that the majority of you buy land in Iowa for the quality of deer our state offers. If that is the case then imagine if your state had that quality and we started leasing/buying up the land to hunt. But I think you would understand a little more.

No offense to anyone who is a non-res and I really don't mean to be directly shouting at anyone of this site. I understand and respect your point of view and in a small way, feel your pain.

Nonres....welcome to your home away from home
grin.gif
Seriously..welcome to the site!

[ QUOTE ]
It seams like the Iowa DNR thinks that keeping non residents out helps the deer herd.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they're pretty sure it helps resident hunters.

And we let 6000 anysex plus 3500 antlerless NR hunters in. It's not that we don't want NR hunters, we just don't want roving hordes of them.

over half of Appanoose county is owned by non residents, imagine that happening to the rest of zones 4,5,6 and 9...................

if we let you all in half of you, and alot of us, wouldn't be able to find a place to hunt (with out big $$$).

Seems to me some of you would like to come in here willy nilly and rape our deer resource until it's wrecked and then move on to the next hot spot.

I have to express my feelings as well. First off, I would like to comment on what was said about non-resident hunters. His feelings were if we let in all the non-residents in it will ultimately have an affect on our trophy deer. I have to say that our trophy deer are in danger from our residents more than a part time hunter (non-residents). It is our people that drive around with truckloads of hunters and drive deer in every wood lot they see. Driving deer with groups of standers with no time to make a good decision on taking that shot at running animal. So many immature bucks with so much potential are slaughtered every year. In addition Iowa residents should be going after our own DNR for opening up a late season rifle hunt on deer that for the most part lost their antlers. This is a season that non-residents don't even hunt. How many of our trophy/potential trophy deer are killed in this season? One can only guess. I am a resident land owner and I have the hardest time with tresspassers. I have never had a non-resident tresspass. All my tresspassers are residents. They drive my property when I am not there, and they drive every wood lot they see because they seem to believe if you live here in Iowa they don't need permission. I do not fear the non-residents. A guy who flies to our state once or twice a year is less likely to tresspass. He is most likely going to secure permission long before his vacation time from work. Our trophies are in danger from our own neighbors. I say take the non resident's money and make our state buy us more game lands. Lets be smart. I say even make the penalties tougher for tresspassers if it makes you all feel better. If you are so worried about them not shooting does make them earn a buck. I just wish you would all stop fearing these people comming to our state, and spending their money and feeding our local economies. I have to give another reality check. The days of free hunting are over, not just in Iowa but all over the United States Of America. We all have to pay to hunt in addition to paying almost $3.00 a gallon for gas. I don't like it, but it is the real world. We need to change with the times. I love my state and I do believe this is what is best for all of us. Give them a tag and make them pay for it.

Creedeer, I have to agree with you on almost every line. I have the exact same problems. I wish the residents would treat my land and wishes with more respect also.

About the deer drives- I would think banning (some folks I'm sure would still do it) would do more to save your monster bucks than anything. In 2005, I had the opportunity to gun hunt SC Iowa. Opening day at approximately 9am, the drives started. I thought to myself, you have GOT to be kidding me. There were so many shots it was rediculous. Coming from all directions. Now, these could have been NR's but I'm guessing atleast some were residents. I would say the only reason half the big bucks get shot or even SEEN is because of drives. If I were a resident, this is what would piss me off the most. Are deer drives on opening day the norm in IA? People do it here, but it's usually later on in opening week or last day of season. Not that it matters when you do it, just seemed funny to me that it would happen that quickly.

Put the hammer on these guys! It's no different in any other state, some people are just gonna go where they want and not give a crap until they get in a jam or know your ground is seriously off limits.

There are resourceful ways of eliminating this stuff. One property next to a place I hunt, the owner allows a couple deputies to do a little hunting. They keep a tight tab on the place and I mean tight. Hell, I get nervous just walking by that timber to get to my place.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
About the deer drives- I would think banning would do more to save your monster bucks than anything. In 2005, I had the opportunity to gun hunt SC Iowa. Opening day at approximately 9am, the drives started. I thought to myself, you have GOT to be kidding me. There were so many shots it was rediculous. Coming from all directions. Now, these could have been NR's but I'm guessing atleast some were residents. I would say the only reason half the big bucks get shot or even SEEN is because of drives. If I were a resident, this is what would piss me off the most. Are deer drives on opening day the norm in IA? People do it here, but it's usually later on in opening week or last day of season. Not that it matters when you do it, just seemed funny to me that it would happen that quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deer drives during shotgun season have been the norm in some parts of Iowa since the 50”s. The whitetail herd seems to be doing just fine in spite of your view of how it adversely effects the buck population. Trying to limit the methods of how residents hunt so that more NR’s can come here is NOT a good idea and would cause a grass-roots revolt among resident hunters.

NR’s seem to be continually grasping for straws in an effort to gain access to Iowa’s buck population. However the facts remain, Iowa must be doing a lot of things right or NR’s wouldn’t be so eager to come here.

Sorry guys, just gotta give the old gray mare one more smack.
"The days of free hunting are over, not just in Iowa but all over the United States Of America. We all have to pay to hunt in addition to paying almost $3.00 a gallon for gas. I don't like it, but it is the real world. We need to change with the times. I love my state and I do believe this is what is best for all of us."

I just have to disagree with this statement. Things only become a part of the real world if we just give in and accept them and say there is nothing we can do about it so join the crowd. Things can be changed. For example, 30 years ago you couldn't go into a resturant without someone at the next table blowing smoke all over you as you tried to eat. People smoked everywhere from the movies to sporting events to concerts to even the doctors offices, but now they don't, partly because of new banning laws but more from public disapproval. Look at all the things that could have became part of "THE REAL WORLD" except that some people decided not to just give in. Things like drunk drivers, drug addiction, domestic and child abuse, and racism, and even the current situation in Iraq. All of these social problems have changed toward the better because people didn't just roll over and say there is nothing we can do so just accept it.

I think that we can change this "gotta pay to play" mentality when it comes to hunting. I don't have all the answers, it may take some people coming together to press for new or different laws reguarding leasing hunting rights or new tax incentives not to lease or some kind of a walkin program. I see the restrictions on NR land owners, not as a slam toward them, but as a small safe guard and incentive to the resident hunters and land owners. Most of the NR hunters and land owners that I have met, as individuals, are pretty nice people, but as a collective group they are the ones responsible, for the most part, for most of the leased ground and outfitters and restricted access in Iowa. I know that I have taken my shots at the NRs and don't want to see a change in current license numbers, but we need to do more than just express our thoughts on this and other boards like this. We need to share our thoughts and ideas with DNR personel, law makers, outdoor organizations, and anyone else who might listen.
893soapbox-thumb[1].gif

I guess I will quit now before I fall of this silly box and break a leg!
blush.gif

I'm not grasping at straws. I've said before that I think Iowa is doing things right. I just said it seems like deer drives would account for a lot more big bucks killed than all of the NR's put together. I'm pretty sure I didn't suggest ending deer drives and increasing the # of NR tags. Seems like everytime a NR says something here, it's "you should have thought about that BEFORE you bought land" or "quit your crying and buy in another state" or "hey, when you pay all the taxes we do, THEN you can hunt every year". I was merely suggesting something that could possibly make your hunting experience even GREATER in my opinion.

Buckcrack, sorry to sound like I was jumping on you, but for many Iowans deer drives and the party hunting system are the law of the land.

Where should I start? Well lets start with pushing trophy bucks during the gun season. If a buck has made it to 4.5+ years old he has run the guantlet of gun hunters before and knows how to elude them. Look at the record books in recent years. Many more trophies are taken by bow then by gun due to the rut. Non-residents are doing a lot of trespassing around my stomping grounds but they are not deer hunters they are pheasant hunters. I have posted before on this fallacy that income from NR tag sales would buy a bunch of public hunting ground for current and future resident hunters. Let just try an example: sell an additional 5000 tags at $300=$1,500,000. Sounds good but the average price of land in Iowa was $3204/acre in 2006 and will like be closer to 3500-3700 this year due to current crop prices. But lets use the 2006 value. $1,500,000/$3204 = 468 acres TOTAL for the entire state of Iowa. So lets divide by the number of counties = 99 because we want all residents of Iowa to have an opportunity to hunt. So 468/99 = 4.7 acres of new public hunting ground per county. That's a great plan! In the mean time the additional 5000 tags encourages additional NR to buy up marginal land driving prices even higher. The NR's then out bid the DNR for the land and then DNR can't purchase any decent tracts. There are several timber tracks for sale in southern Iowa for right now for $2500-$3500/acre and this price was driven up to this level by NR's. Actually you can buy tillable land in many areas of southern Iowa cheaper than you can buy the timber/brushy tracts. I do agree that the late season antlerless is a bad deal. What really worries me is that this "throw in the towel" mentality has happened in many states and has resulted in the pay to play mentality being accepted. The good thing is it hasn't taken over in Iowa and if we continue to fight we can stop it. Unfortunately, too many like yourself have given up and future generations will pay for it unless those of us determined to fight for them continue to do our part.

Thank you, The day that I first walked the land that I purchased was opening day of last years first gun season. I was walking it dressed in orange. 1 hour into my walk the realitor and I had to head for cover. The 4 bucks and three does that we saw on our walk were about to be Iowanized. The woods was surounded and it was a half hour before the gun shots stopped and the hunters moved on.

I bought the land in January and took a walk. I found three piles of bones. Could have been caused by anything. A freind of mine asked me what I was going to do if a bunch of locals come on my land during gun season while I am back home. My answer: If they respect my land and hunt it with a purpose other than killing everything that moves I will simply ask them if they had any luck!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
What really worries me is that this "throw in the towel" mentality has happened in many states and has resulted in the pay to play mentality being accepted. The good thing is it hasn't taken over in Iowa and if we continue to fight we can stop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Join and support the IBA……Join Now

398ibalogo_1_.gif

"...were about to be Iowanized"

Wait a minute buddy....let me tell you that not all Iowans "Iowanize" their deer by drives with pickups and 40 orange clad drivers.
I love to slug hunt. So does the rest of my family. We slug hunt from treestands and ground blinds. Always have and always will. We see and shoot tons of deer each year. Do most people drive and post deer? Yup. Not everyone, though.
And yes, I have had tresspassers of every kind....local and nonres.
Big bucks will continue to live on even with our "Iowanizing" tactics.

Top Bottom