Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No-Till Planters & Drills?

singlecoyote

Proud member of the IBA
When it comes to actual ag products (not food plot machinery)...

What is the differences between a no-till planter and a no-till drill?

Do most plant corn and beans?

Best make?

Price range?

When it comes to actual ag products (not food plot machinery)...

What is the differences between a no-till planter and a no-till drill?

Do most plant corn and beans?

Best make?

Price range?

Here's a couple pics of my JD 7000 4 row planter for comparison

JD7000No-till.jpg

This pic shows the no-till coulter which sets it apart from ordinary planters without the no-till coulters

FrontviewDrive.jpg

On any planter or drill, the "wavy" no-till coulter helps cut through trash and loosen a narrow band of soil ahead of the planter itself.

No-tillcoulters.jpg

JD 7000's in 4 row run from $500-2500 and you can by seed cups for almost any type of "row crop" seed such as corn, soybeans, milo, sunflowers and others.

This is a Truax no-till drill...notice it has multiple rows roughly 7" apart versus a planter of 30-38"

TruaxNo-tilldrill.jpg

Most drills such as this one will plant almost any type of seed as they have a small seed box for clover, switchgrass or brassicas and large seed box for cereal grains and even soybeans or corn.

One can block off some rows to plant wider rows making a modern drill like this one more versitile but...a drill like that can run $14,000 easily.

Used ones are difficult to find but certainly could be found for much less then new. Truax and Great Plains are a couple that come to mind and most county conservation boards here in Iowa have them to rent for 5 bucks an acre...;)

My father in-law is looking for a seed drill and has been looking at the great plains and truax drills. Just wondering if anyone has much experience with either of these and which would you recommend?

He's looking for the most versatile drill he can find and would like to be able to plant everything from fluffy nwsg's to large legumes like soybeans.

Also, ideally he would like to be able use it with both of his tractors. He's got a compact JD 4320 and a JD 5095. What size drill do you think he could get away with on the 4320?

I've got a Great Plains drill that I notill beans with and my food plots. If you want to do fluffy prairie seed, you need the third box on your drill. Our PF chapter has a Great Plains drill and in my opinion they are the heaviest built and easiest to operate. I wouldn't try to pull my 10 ft with less than 90 hp. unless you're on level ground. the prairie drills are pricy, even used ones.

I've got a Great Plains drill that I notill beans with and my food plots. If you want to do fluffy prairie seed, you need the third box on your drill. Our PF chapter has a Great Plains drill and in my opinion they are the heaviest built and easiest to operate. I wouldn't try to pull my 10 ft with less than 90 hp. unless you're on level ground. the prairie drills are pricy, even used ones.

I've been hearing the opposite. Most I've talked to say that truax are the easiest to operate and best built. I know they are pricey, around $15,000 if I recall correctly. He's been looking at the FlexII series grass drill and would be planning on getting the optional cool season box as well. I'm wondering if the 8ft would be too much for the 48hp 4320. The dealer says it would be ok with the 4320 but I don't always have 100% faith in someone trying to sell what they have in stock. I'm sure the 5095 would have no problem with it but it would be nice to use the 4320 on some areas where the bigger tractor might not be able to fit as easily. I'll definitely tell him to go take a look at the great plains drills and see what he thinks. He's only looked at the truax so far and was impressed but sound like the great plains might be a winner as well.

Top Bottom