Northern Minnesota fishing recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by teeroy, May 27, 2019.

1. teeroy

teeroy Life Member

Myself, my brother and his kids, my cousin and her husband are wanting to do a fishing trip end of June, or July. Renting boats, or possibly charter. Cabin rental. Targeting pike and walleye. Anybody have any favorite lakes/ lodges to suggest?

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

Lake of the Woods is great, weather permitting. I like Leech Lake, Winnie by Walker, for both walleye and pike.

A sleeper area is Otter Tail County. 1000 lakes in the county and not as much fishing pressure.

4. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

How big of a lake you wanting?

5. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I go to LOTW almost every September, but I have been following a friend via Facebook this last week as he has been killing the walleyes, including big ones. He has been at Ballard Resort on LOTW in far northern Minny.

6. Willie

Willie PMA Member

7. Hardwood11

You will not go wrong with any of those lakes, all depends on the weather/wind. I live near Alexandria and there are 60+ good lakes in that area. Not a bad option either, and good bar/restaurants on the main "chain of lakes"....walleye, pike, bass and real nice crappies/sunnies.

8. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

We've been fishing Leech for 15+ years and it's gone down hill IMO - we used to hammer perch and rockbass but we catch a fraction of what we used to. We have primarily fished Agency Bay and maybe venturing out would've helped us get in to some better fishing. Walleye fishing is ok, nothing great for size, at least not that we've gotten in to.

9. Hardwood11

Leech is an up and down lake. Can be great, but I’ve been out there and not caught jack squat! Needs a nice chop, or cloudy day.

A real sleeper is Bowstring by Grand Rapids, consistent fishing!

10. 4DABUCKS

4DABUCKS Well-Known Member

My family and another are headed to Bowstring in mid August! I hope the fishing is good!

11. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

I'll throw out Blackduck lake north of Bemidji. A smaller lake but the fishing was top notch. We stayed at Dunrovin Resort. Didnt catch many big pike but the walleye fishing was lights out and they are known for some crazy big sunfish. To waste some time I went out chasing largemouth and it was obvious no one up there cares about them because they were plentiful and hungry and big. Twice out and caught 6 over 4 pounds. Another one I've been to is Battle lake. More touristy and not as many walleyes but we caught some big ones.