Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nov. 9-17...good dates to hunt

In my opinion, you couldn't ask for a better date range. You would be catching the very last of the pre-rut and on into the main peak of the rut for most areas.

I agree with Daver. The 9th and 10th you may still catch a buck on a pre-rut pattern. After that you could see about any buck any place any time. If you haven't gotten anything by the 16th and 17th be ready. That is just past the peak of the breeding period and it is when I expect to start seeing the dominant bucks looking for the last few hot does.

Those would be very good dates. In the past few years I've killed a buck in the first 10 days of Nov. I keep telling myself to hold off because I know I'm missing alot of action from Nov 10-20. I have a doe tag to fill this year so I hope to fill it then hold out for Mr.BIG! LOL
What tactics do you intend to employ?
I'd be smashing some big sheds together if your still hunting on the 15th - 17th.

M350 you caught me in the middle of a post. Like I stated earlier I live in FL so I can't prescout...but I'm used to wingin' it. I personally like the transient bucks. I feel it gives me the edge (if ever so slight) that they are not totally familiar with the area and they have only one thing on their mind. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys and good luck!!!

With two full moons in October and cooler weather moving in, does anybody think the rut might kick in a little earlier this year?

9th to the17th of Nov. has been very very good to me.About 70% of the bucks I bagged was in this time period.My other time is Oct.21st. to the 26th...I LOVE the pre-rut But,the peak rut is GOLDEN.The biggest bucks viewed by tree stand with no shot,Nov.19th to the 24th..,.

RTN, TRADITIONALLY THESE ARE THE DATES EVERYONE EXPECTS TO SEE THE BIG BOYS OUT RUNNING DOES. I WAS BORN ON NOV 12, AND HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TAG A MONSTER ON THAT DAY.. IT HASNT HAPPENED//? WHAT I SEE AROUND THESE DATES ARE LARGE BUCKS TRAVELING AWAY FROM THIER HOME RANGES. IF YOU HAVE A LARGE DEER LINED UP AND HAVE BEEN WATCHING HIM ALL SUMMER BETTER JUMP A LITTLE SOONER THAN NOV 9-15 OR SO.. TRAIL CAMERAS AND A 10 YEAR DIARY HAVE ME HITTING THE WOODS IN OCT.1-4, VACATION TIME OFF FROM OCT 26-31, AND NOV 8-11. WHY, BECAUSE I FIND BIGGER BUCKS CLOSER TO HOME THEN, AFTER THAT YOUR USUALLY HUNTING ROAMING DEER-- AND THEY USULLY HAVE A DOE IN TOE. I FIND THESE THE TOUGHEST OF ALL CONDITIONS TO TAG TROPHY DEER. BACK TO THE LITTLE RESEARCH I HAVE GOTTEN TO DO. I LIKE TO HUNT SCRAPE LINES IN BIG TIMBER AWAY FROM FIELDS. THESE SCRAPES ARE HIT BY BOTH SEXES UNTIL ABOUT 10 DAYS PRIOR TO A FULL MOON. 10- 4 DAYS PRIOR BUCK ACTIVITY IS NONEXISTANT, ONLY DOES AT THESE SCRAPES. 4 DAYS BEFORE TO 4 DAYS AFTER THE FULL MOON, BUCKS MAKE A STAND AT THESE SITES, OFTEN SEVERAL TIMES A DAY, AND AT ALL TIMES OF THE DAY. SO MY BETS THIS YEAR ARE WELL BEFORE NOV. 9 IN N.E. IOWA. BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION. M350

Scout that I intend to do. On a past trip up I had good results with a rattle box but no big ones came calling. I did see some big boys though. My brother-in-law was "blind" grunting and took a 130 class that rushed in to check him out. Another buddy couldn't get a response out of a nice 10 pt until he shook his rattle bag, causing the buck to come in at a trot (he missed the shot). I feel a little more at ease with a few locals telling me those are good dates. I was kind of wondering with all the talk about an early rut. With 2 previous trips up to the same farm I know exactly where the does will be bedding. With out the luxury of pre scouting I plan to hunt the funnels leading to their bedding areas.

I have been trying to keep better logs the last 2 years. First I would like to say I hunt an area that is veiwed as a bedding area. This area is also full of Oak and Hickory ridges with a small stream and a pond. So, the deer do not have to leave for food and water. This area holds does, so I hunt bucks on the go. 1999 the most bucks were veiwed Nov. 24th. In 2000 it was Nov. 10th. I'm talking seeing 3 to 4 big bucks from the same stand. But the biggest buck was the first week of Dec. during shotgun season, a huge 12 pointer 15 min. after I shot a nice doe for freazer. This buck was still checking scrapes. Mabye looking for the ones missed the first time?

I would definitely say these are awesome days to hunt. I got my biggest deer yet a 120 class 8 pt on November 14th. I missed one of the biggest bucks i ever saw on November 17 and my Dad got his biggest buck a 10 pt on November 14th also. I'm getting excited just writing this letter. Good luck and shoot straight!!!!

Top Bottom