Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November 7

Tmayer13

For those that do not know I am a mobile service tech for a John Deere dealer, and for those that do not know what that is,I drive a big service truck and travel around the country fixing broke down machinery...I love my job...the issue is I also love to bowhunt and when harvest is in full swing im 14+ hr days 7 days a week, I don't get much time to sit in a tree...actually the only time I get is either rain days(a few of those this fall) and after harvest is over....and knowing typically when it ends in my part of the state I put in for my vacation back in July for 2 5 day spans in November, one of which to start yesterday.

So I have made it out a few times this season and filled some doe tags and actually have seen a couple mature deer...fast forward to this past Sunday, I had the day off so I went out for an all day sit....in the morning I rattled in a future superstar and saw a few other deer but no sightings of anything mature, same with that evening...it was a little touch and go at work but he decided to let me take my vacation so out I go for an all day sit..

The morning started out slowish but then about 745 it started to pick up... buck here, buck there... chasing going on...just your typical fun rut hunt...about 9 o'clock here comes a doe out of left field sprinting past me like Micheal Johnson and sure enough right behind her is a big ole Iowa buck with his tongue dragging in the dirt...they dart into the timber and gone...dang it!!!! A couple minutes to by and there she is, tongue hanging out, foaming at the mouth, jumps a fence a literally walks 5 steps from my tree, I grab my bow because I know he's there...There he is!!!!! Jumps the fence, I get ready.....and he takes a different path to cut her off....dang it!!! No shot as I watch him chase out the other end of my timber....well time goes by and I see plenty more action....about 1030 I see a large body off in the distance grab the binos and sure enough it's the big 7...I call at him, nothing(very well couldnt hear me) and he walks off...so I sit for a while and just happen to look over into the timer and see a main beam glisten in the sunlight, binos up and sure enough it's the 7 but this time he's only 80 yards away...I hit him with a doe bleat followed by a grunt...I lose sight of him...dang it....I hit the antlers and see what's looks like a flash move in the timber... bam out steps the 7...stands there makes a scrape...I'm ranging and just waiting for an opportunity....he then starts walking away from me...I turn around hit the antlers, he spins on a dime and heads right towards me....but he is straight down wind....I'm a full believer in ozone technology and use it every hunt with what I would consider a very high success rate... anyway he is standing there at 45 looking into the timber but will not commit without seeing another deer...we had a starting contest for about 10 mins before he turned around and slowly walked off...stopped at 100 yards to hit a scrape and then go about his way....dang it!!!!
After that it for pretty slow from 11-2...at about 230 I get a text from a buddy that a big deer had just stepped in front of him...he sends me a pic of a 30" 6 pt standing there..LOL oh the joys of all day sits!!! About 10mins go by and I look back through the timber and catch some movement...grab the binos and it 2 bucks...I send him a text back that I have his deers' triplet bros by me....we are texting back and forth...I grab a PB&J sandwich and look over and notice one of those bucks is staring back behind him pretty hard...so I shove the sandwich in my mouth and grab the binos and start looking then BAM! there he is...looks big and mature and closing distance fast...look one more time, see the big head and dark forehead, heavy bases...yup he gettin' it! Hes walking straight towards me so I start picking out spots, he then turns to parallel me and I knew the distance...I draw and wait for him to clear the brush,he stops and I release SMACK!!!! OH NO!!!!I jerked the trigger a bit and hit him back!!! He runs about 25 yards and just stops...I knock another arrow and then see his ass end get a little funky, and he lays down right in front me 36.5 yards away but he isn't dead... he's bleeding pretty good but his head is still up and he is actually laying pretty broadside to me...so now I'm having a dilemma in my head because I've never seen a deer lay down like this without being dead....what felt like 4 hours goes by(more like 3mins) and I'm ready in case he trys to get up but then all at once his head started to get heavy and that was it! Celebration time! I make some calls, sit back and drink my monster and try to regain my wits and figure out what the heck just happened.
I finally climb down and retrieve my arrow. Walk right to him and am actually shocked that he was bigger than I thought...bonus buck, no pics ever of this deer, called the neighbor and he had zero pics as well...

It's almost surreal right now because I killed him on my first day of vacation and now my bow season(other than a couple more does) has come to an end. My last three archery bucks have been killed on the 8th, 6th and now 7th of November...so you could say I like this time of year!

I am very thankful and blessed!

Team 10- 158 2/8 9 pt

This is him laying there from the stand, crazy feeling
762c4c7bc13b996f2a4688fbaa669ed0.jpg
889a63de80504bf21779c13b448f81f5.jpg
eebff8415f52938b38b2e835e0430246.jpg
79f465191665be7bda9fc6ac80b9aaff.jpg
617352c82076c65807b311b9936f2ce7.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Congrats, he's a dandy! Sounds like quite the fun morning in the stand!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I know exactly what your talking about with being too busy working when you should be hunting. We are trying to finish up harvest today. It's a double edged sword. Farming allows me access to places to hunt that most don't get and I get to be around the critters and see them all the time. Just don't get to bow hunt them much. Now late muzzleloader is a different story. Awesome buck by the way. Congratulations.

Congrats! You mention a little far back on the hit? Where ever you hit, got the job done.

That’s a smoker & great story- congrats!!! So- if u killed at 2:30- pretty good reinforcement be in stand as early as possible. Well done!!

Top Bottom