NR tags with a twist HF2014

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Still no subcommittee as of this post. 1/21/20 16:05

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Subcommittee assigned 1/23/20:

Representative Jeff Shipley, House District 82 (Davis, Van Buren and parts of Jefferson county) Email: Jeff.Shipley@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27036

Representative Dean Fisher, House District 72 (Tama, parts of Marshall and Black Hawk counties) Email: dean.fisher@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10755

Representative Scott Ourth, House District 26 (part of Warren county including Indianola) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

4. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Subcommittee meeting 2/17/20

5. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

This bill reportedly passed the subcommittee. The bill does not yet indicate that. There are a couple of rumors about amendments and we are trying to pin them down.

6. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

This bill is on the agenda for tomorrow's full committee.

This bill and any potential amendments could go the same way as the necked cartridge bill. It is my guess that the bill will pass in its current form tomorrow and an amendment will be introduced at the last minute. I can't imagine any amendment to this bill that would make it palatable, only worse. Stay tuned.

7. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Passed full committee today on a 17-4 vote.

8. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Honest question. Is there 500 NRs who hunt with outfitters yearly? And what does it take to become an outfitter

9. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Good question! Outfitters in Iowa don’t need a license so anyone can start one up.

10. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

So what's to stop guys like me from saying I'm an outfitter and my buddies "reserving" spots. Might only have better odds for the first year though til everyone catches on

11. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Nothing.

This was a huge loop hole for NRLOs whos farm is listed as a business to qualify to guide themselves. Iowa does not recognize outfitters or guides, all this bill really requires is a business to say yes, we have Yogi Bear coming to Iowa to hunt, give him a tag. The business "Bill's Beautiful Blue Buttons" then charges the NR a fee for getting them a tag and never outfits or guides Yogi on his hunt. To me, this is just a giant loop hole bill.

CAVEAT: I don't know if an NR can have a business in Iowa or a farm listed as a business, I'm just thinking out loud.

The other thing this bill does is open the door for registration/licensing of guides and outfitters who in turn would then want more guaranteed tags.