Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRC Committee meeting on March 13th

Rjack

At the Altoona DNR meeting, a member of the DNR NRC indicated that was the best place to provide feedback. These are usually held at the Wallace State Building, but this one is a teleconference and public input is allowed.

You can read the details in the PDF linked below, but here is my (hopefully accurate) summary.
  1. Changing quotas for non-resident (lower in 1, 2, and 10 and raise in 9)
  2. Bringing back the late rifle season in CWD counties (Allamakee, Appanoose, Clayton, and Wayne)
  3. Increase quotas in several counties (CWD and others) and decrease in Bremer
  4. Six shot limit in shotguns and SWC rifles and handguns for deer season
  5. Clarify definition of legal handgun for deer hunting
  6. Change turkey shot size to be 4 through 8
  7. Start turkey season (1st gun and bow) earlier (2nd Monday in April) and shorten youth season to 3 days (since their tag is good for all the other seasons anyway).
A public hearing is mentioned for April 18th as well.

I'm good with most, but want someone to explain the rational for 2 and 3. It appears the plan is to kill as many as possible to slow CWD. As discussed elsewhere on this site, there doesn't seem to be evidence this is a valid strategy. I plan to call in and ask about the CWD approach.

I think 7 is a really good idea as the seasons are a little late right now. This was brought up at the DNR listening meetings the last 2 years so maybe they are listening....

The details on how to participate and the full changes can be found here.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr...13 Agenda-Items.pdf?ver=2018-03-08-130918-803

So they want to basically eliminate as many deer as possible in the CWD counties? I think a shotgun shell limit would be great and would like to see it at 3......I know I'll get backlash for that comment but its my opinion

Agree
“Shoot em all or hammer away”. Same politicians that the days after school shootings call for ban on guns, etc. With the evidence out there, both knee jerk reactions make equally little sense.

Politics of deer- I think they have to “appear” like they are doing something. Again, yet to see PROOF or understand how their methods make any sense.

So they want to basically eliminate as many deer as possible in the CWD counties? I think a shotgun shell limit would be great and would like to see it at 3......I know I'll get backlash for that comment but its my opinion

Appears to be the plan. I would be good with 3 as well.

Thanks Rjack.

Copy and paste of dates/times/places:

Deer:

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendments on or before April 18, 2018. Written comments may be directed to Tyler Harms, Wildlife Biometrician, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 503190034; or by e-mail at Tyler.Harms@dnr.iowa.gov. Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may contact Mr. Harms at (515) 432-2823.

There will be a public hearing on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, at Noon in the Fourth Floor Conference Room of the Wallace State Office Building. At the public hearing, persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.

Turkey:

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendment on or before March 29, 2018. Written comments may be directed to James (Jim) Coffey, Wildlife Biologist, Department of Natural Resources, 24570 US HWY 34 Chariton, Iowa 50049; or by e-mail at James.Coffey@dnr.iowa.gov. Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may contact Mr. Coffey at (641) 774-2958 or by visiting the Chariton Research Station during regular business hours.

There will be a public hearing on Thursday, March 29, 2018, at noon in the Third Floor Conference Room of the Wallace State Office Building, 502 E 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319. At the public hearing, persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.

I'm not sure when the NRC makes their decisions. If it is at the meetings on those dates or a later meeting.

Thanks Rjack.

Copy and paste of dates/times/places:

Deer:

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendments on or before April 18, 2018. Written comments may be directed to Tyler Harms, Wildlife Biometrician, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Wallace State Office Building, 502 E. 9th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 503190034; or by e-mail at Tyler.Harms@dnr.iowa.gov. Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may contact Mr. Harms at (515) 432-2823.

There will be a public hearing on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, at Noon in the Fourth Floor Conference Room of the Wallace State Office Building. At the public hearing, persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.

Turkey:

Any interested person may make written suggestions or comments on the proposed amendment on or before March 29, 2018. Written comments may be directed to James (Jim) Coffey, Wildlife Biologist, Department of Natural Resources, 24570 US HWY 34 Chariton, Iowa 50049; or by e-mail at James.Coffey@dnr.iowa.gov. Persons who wish to convey their comments orally may contact Mr. Coffey at (641) 774-2958 or by visiting the Chariton Research Station during regular business hours.

There will be a public hearing on Thursday, March 29, 2018, at noon in the Third Floor Conference Room of the Wallace State Office Building, 502 E 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319. At the public hearing, persons may present their views either orally or in writing. Participants will be asked to give their names and addresses for the record and to confine their remarks to the subject of the amendments.

I'm not sure when the NRC makes their decisions. If it is at the meetings on those dates or a later meeting.
Question Bonk if they approve the change to turkey season would that be for next year or this year?
I’m ready now to start earlier this year:D

Next year for turkey. People have already bought tags and the dates were published. But that is just a guess.

I sent a email to Tyler Harms and he responded back in a matter of minutes on the deer issues. Hopefully I will receive one from Jim on the turkey proposal.
Bonkers post for email addresses couldn’t be any easier so send the emails in your likes or dislikes.
Times a wasting

Six shot limit in shotguns and SWC rifles and handguns for deer season

Even though my muzzleloader is a single shot and I believe all of us should approach our shot opportunities as if we only get one, I do not get this one, and I wonder how they plan to enforce it?

I'm not a fan of the six shot limit as that would outlaw one of my 870's as well as my 44mag lever gun. I understand they want to stop the AR guys but I'm afraid they're going to catch a lot of other weapons in the crossfire.

I sent off my emails, basically stating I am not sure why they want to kill more people when the DNR didnt test our deer even after we called them during archery and gun seasons. If they had better checks for it, then they wouldnt need to kill extra deer. A buddy of mine killed 3 does during the late rifle season this year, not one got tested. So what is the point?! I still dont believe in the mineral spread causing it. When its being spread 60-80 miles between counties, what is the true culprit. Mock scrapes could be a bigger issue, as they claim older bucks are more at risk to be a carrier. Lots of unknowns, but killing extra deer isnt the answer in my opinion.
I am in favor of limiting guns to 6, not sure the point of having more than that? I used to want to shoot as many as I could, but the last 3 years I have used 3 slugs. Its nice to have the follow up if needed, but somewhere the line has to be drawn.
This is a pure curious question, why is it a 3 shot limit for ducks, but not deer?

Just because the magazines hold more doesn't mean I shoot more. I'm pretty sure I've never unloaded on an animal. It just seems like more laws and regulations based on abuse by a minority of the population.

I have a duck plug for my shotgun to get compliant with waterfowl regs, so I guess you can limit the capacity of about any gun with a similar approach.

I have a duck plug for my shotgun to get compliant with waterfowl regs, so I guess you can limit the capacity of about any gun with a similar approach.

According to the NRC meeting discussion, no plug is needed. This does not stop the use of a gun with more than 6 capacity, you just can't load more than 6. So, I think you would only be cited if the DNR found you with more than 6 loaded.

I sent off my emails, basically stating I am not sure why they want to kill more people when the DNR didnt test our deer even after we called them during archery and gun seasons. If they had better checks for it, then they wouldnt need to kill extra deer. A buddy of mine killed 3 does during the late rifle season this year, not one got tested. So what is the point?! I still dont believe in the mineral spread causing it. When its being spread 60-80 miles between counties, what is the true culprit. Mock scrapes could be a bigger issue, as they claim older bucks are more at risk to be a carrier. Lots of unknowns, but killing extra deer isnt the answer in my opinion.
I am in favor of limiting guns to 6, not sure the point of having more than that? I used to want to shoot as many as I could, but the last 3 years I have used 3 slugs. Its nice to have the follow up if needed, but somewhere the line has to be drawn.
This is a pure curious question, why is it a 3 shot limit for ducks, but not deer?
I agree with you and also I am not in favor of adding the tags taken away from NW zones solely to Zone 9 for non residents. Divide them up evenly, throw some down to the southern tiers or just take the loss in revenue. But don't turn the NE corner into the next NW corner where there is no deer and no access. They wouldn't be buck only during some seasons and short on deer if the DNR and hunters up there didn't over harvest the first go round.

^^^ Yeah, one of my farms is in the buck only area for early gun... Numbers are SO low its scary... and our other farm is in Allamakee, we dont need that happening over there..

Don't want to derail the topic but the DNR said they are reducing the tags in NW Iowa because the residents don't like that the nonresidents get a doe tag with their non resident license. If that is the only reason then why would they not just take away the non resident doe tags in that portion of the state and leave the number of allotted non resident tags alone. Just spit-balling here but it irritates me because if they keep heading this way, in the future zone 9 will be the zones 1, 2, and 10 of today and then what? Give our tags to southern Iowa so we can take out their herd too?

So I got an email back finally on this, basically saying they actually want early archery/youth deer before they want late season. They still want the rifle season to "slow the spread of disease" down..But the next sentence says they dont know how it spreads... This is going to be painful

Top Bottom