Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

oak death.

vman

I was looking at some plots today and noticed I've lost some oaks. .More than one is to many and I'm seeing clumps of them dead together. Any ideas why? They were good acorn producers unfortunately.

Were they red or white oaks? I have lost some reds over the past few years too, I can't remember the name of the disease right now, but it only seemed to affect reds, not whites.

Another thought might be oak wilt. Have you done any cutting around these trees in the last few years?

I'll have to look. Red oaks I believe though. I tsi the area a number of years ago.

Ive been losing several red oaks every year due to oak blight.. the disease travels through root systems and they die off in clumps. I think the only way to stop it is by basically root pruning around trees that have the disease to keep it from spreading through root systems.. a lot of time and money.. ive lived in my place for 3 yrs now and ive lost about 10 big mature oaks in about a 4 acre area

I have some of this going on in MN. Oak wilt I believe and it is hitting some of my bur oaks, stinks!

We always have some red oak deaths every year and this year some white oaks. I think the drought last year finished off some weaker trees.

If red oak then likely oak wilt. If bur oak, then possibly bur oak blight... Both can cause groups of trees to die.

My bet would be oak wilt though... Not many timbers that don't have it to some extent.

Top Bottom